3D Curved Spiderman Text Tutorial

gamrcobe

3 years ago

Let me preface this tutorial in saying that a vector based program will do a cleaner job at something like this, but another member wanted to see how it could be done so here goes...

At this point choose all of your text layers, (Click on the top most text layer and holding SHIFT, click the bottom most text layer this will select all the layers in between), right click and "Convert to Pixels"

gamrcobe

3 years ago

You'll notice after transforming the letters the stroke doesn't look so clean. The end result isn't super polished but this is just on idea on how you might achieve this look.

Thanks.

PS- I just realized I forgot the dash, lol, that's what happens at 1am...
colorful_life

2 years ago

in second picture - how do you make oval cutout shape in pixelmator?
gamrcobe

2 years ago

colorful_life wrote:in second picture - how do you make oval cutout shape in pixelmator?

On it's own layer use the oval Marquee Tool to get the oval shape you want and then fill with any color using paint bucket fill, use the menu to fill, or a shortcut is Option>Command>F

: )
Andinda

2 years ago

Great tutorials - I try to follow each one.
Quick question regarding step 6:
How actually is this done?
Cmd+select the cutout shape ok, but deleting it with the part of the layer below...?!
Have no idea...
gamrcobe

2 years ago

Sorry that wasn't clearer, once you CMD click to get the shape or selection of the oval choose the layer of the first letter and hit delete, this will delete the parts of the letters inside the oval. Do the same to each letter go down the layers and hit delete. This will create the "curve" at the bottom of the letters.

Another way you could do it is after stretching all of the letters where you want them, you could merge all of them into one layer. Then select the oval shape, choose that one layer and hit delete.

: )

Jacob.
Andinda

2 years ago

Great - got it !

Many thanks.
t3_guy

2 years ago

This is a great guide. Thank you for putting it together. However, I am having one issue. When I select a letter and press command-F to Transform, the Transform toolbar opens up on top of the window as expected, however the "Constrain proportions" checkbox is checked, is grayed out, and is not un-checkable. That means I cannot stretch my letters vertically. Rather when I attempt to stretch a letter down, it gets wider as well since Pixelmator is keeping the proportions constrained. Any ideas on how I can uncheck that box? Thanks.
gamrcobe

2 years ago

This is an older tutorial for version 1 of Pixelmator, and I assume your working with PM 2? Try clicking on the little gear icon on the left side of the tool options bar and choosing a different transform mode, see if that helps.
t3_guy

2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried everything and it does seem that this option is locked down in Pixelmator 2. Odd... Hopefully I am incorrect and someone will correct this post someday.
craig

2 years ago

in px2, the transform tool does not allow to transform text layer vertically, it always checks the constrain proportions, and you can't uncheck it.

The second problem is, the deletion part, I can't delete when CMD+click the shape and text layer. I don't understand the suggestions.

"Then select the oval shape, choose that one layer and hit delete. "

When I select the oval shape, PXM selects the oval shape.

When I choose that one layer, PXM selects that one layer and deselect oval shape.

When I hit delete, all the text is deleted, not the footer of the texts
gamrcobe

2 years ago

t3_guy wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried everything and it does seem that this option is locked down in Pixelmator 2. Odd... Hopefully I am incorrect and someone will correct this post someday.

Select all of the text layers, right click and "Convert into Pixels". This is the only way to fully transform them any way you want. You should now be able to hit CMD F to bring up the transform controls and pull down to stretch the letter slightly.

Hope that helps.
gamrcobe

2 years ago

craig wrote:in px2, the transform tool does not allow to transform text layer vertically, it always checks the constrain proportions, and you can't uncheck it.

The second problem is, the deletion part, I can't delete when CMD+click the shape and text layer. I don't understand the suggestions.

"Then select the oval shape, choose that one layer and hit delete. "

When I select the oval shape, PXM selects the oval shape.

When I choose that one layer, PXM selects that one layer and deselect oval shape.

When I hit delete, all the text is deleted, not the footer of the texts

First you need to "Convert to Pixels" all of your text layers as mentioned above.

Selecting a layer to effect it and CMD clicking on the layers thumbnail to get it's shape are 2 different things.

By CMD clicking on a layers thumbnail you will grab its shape in the form of a selection. When you have that selection active, you can now use it to effect other layers when they are selected (not clicking on thumbnail, just on the layer, turning it blue)

In this tutorial we are using the grabbed shape selection as a way to "cookie cut" the bottom of the final text to create a curved effect.

So when all of your text is stretched where you want you would CMD click on the Oval shapes thumbnail to get it's selection, then you would go down the layers selecting each one (not the thumbnail) and hit delete.

Sorry for not mentioning the Convert to pixels part, because in version 1 when you hit CMD F on any Text layer it would either ask you, or automatically Convert to Pixels for you. I'll add that at the top for version 2 users.
t3_guy

2 years ago

Thank you very much for the added detail. Much appreciated!

Please sign in to post.