Newbie Help

Jerryg

6 years ago

I am totally new to Pixelmator and digital image editing for that matter. I have used iPhoto, but would like to set up to the next level.
The online tutorials are great, but most are way over my head. I need to really learn the basics, ie, what are layers and how do they work?
Any suggestions for me, such as books(all I can find are Photoshop ones), online courses, etc.

Thanks for the help,
Jerry
Pixel-Matador

6 years ago

Well I would recommend the circle bokeh effect. Try it a few times. It took me three to get it.
EssixxDesigns
gamrcobe

6 years ago

As said above practice tutorials will do wonders for your learning, it's not about the whole tutorial but each step. Some of the most complex drawings, art, photos are made with small little effects built up or layered.

You can think of layers like having a art sketchbook filled with clear transparent pages. Instead of drawing your image and adding effect to one single unchangeable page you could spread your drawing and effects over many pages. Flatten these pages and you still see one image.

The power of layers is breaking a project into smaller manageable, changeable parts that each can be moved, resized, and take on the effects you apply individually.

Check out PixelCreativity on youtube for some easy to follow tutorials on using Pixelmator!!
Brigita

6 years ago

Most of the tutorials are for intermediate or advanced users, however, as gamrcobe said, you can practice with single steps in the tutorial. Or you can try the easy ones, like Dreamy Look, Vignette Effect, etc.

By the way, have you already noticed new selection tools and gradient tutorial? They are really helpful for newbies.
Jerryg

6 years ago

Thanks, I'll check them out, but am still looking for photo editing 101 type info.
Pixel-Matador

6 years ago

Jerryg wrote:Thanks, I'll check them out, but am still looking for photo editing 101 type info.

You can use quick and basic retouch.
EssixxDesigns
richdiaz45@gmail.com

3 years ago

Will Pixelmator allow me to convert iPhoto library photos to pencil or ink drawings?
Sebastiaan

3 years ago

Yes, but not in a batch operation.
Paul Rouse

10 months ago

I'm with Jerryg on this one, I can't find anything about the basic principles of how Pixelmator works which as a complete newbie is very frustrating! I find that what tutorials I look at are aimed at intermediate and above users. Come on Pixelmator would it really kill you to put something together to cover this area? I'm getting so frustrated with my lack of progress that this programme will be going in the bin soon and I'll look for something more user friendly. I paid good money for this programme as it is highly rated but I am extremely disappointed at the lack of help for users of my level.
Sebastiaan

10 months ago

Hello Paul,

Have you taken a look at the "Getting started with Pixelmator" - series? https://pixelmatortutorials.net/?s=Gett ... Pixelmator

Please sign in to post.