Blending 2 layers with people to create a more natural look

above_average_coffee

1 year ago

I am making a baby announcement in the vein of a movie poster and am trying to get a picture of myself and my wife to be layered more naturally. Currently, it sticks out too much and is very apparent that it isn't "natural". Most movie posters are composited but they are blended better than what I am getting.

For the picture of my wife, I selected her head, refined the selection by smoothing and feathering it, inverted the selection, deleted the background, and then put it over on the project where I messed with the color. It wasn't so hard with my picture as I have darker hair but her blonde hair is throwing me off.

What should I be doing differently?

Sebastiaan

1 year ago

Congrats on the fantastic news first of all! You're doing a very good job so far with your composition. Especially when it comes to the selection. I think the result looks unnatural mostly because of the difference in light. Your face has the light coming from the right while your wife has the light coming from the left. Our eyes would also expect that, since she is in the foreground, she would cast a shadow on your face. And right now that part of your face is the brightest part. One might also think that since your wife is in the foreground that her face should be larger than yours.

The lighting you could try to fix by flipping one of the layers around so the light comes from the same direction. A slight washed out shadow can be made using a layer style. Adjust the layer size using transform.

I hope this help you out a bit.
above_average_coffee

1 year ago

Ended up getting an acceptable result by using the burn tool on my cheek to take away the brightness and then readjusted the selection of the background in my wife's original picture to not be so exact. That way when I went back to erase (with 0 hardness), it was more gradual.

I tried taking another picture of her to use instead that had better lighting but she liked the original most. I'm happier with it now than I was before.

I'll share the finished poster tomorrow after we have made the general announcement. Thanks for the help!
above_average_coffee

1 year ago

Here's the finished "movie poster"
http://imgur.com/a/alnXe
Sebastiaan

1 year ago

Love it! Much much better now.
hanifkhan

1 year ago

Click Filter>Stylize>Noise... and drag the noise slider to 100%, this will make your line look randomly black and white, leave monochrome checked.

Please sign in to post.