Soft artistic background effects

AndieB

2 years ago

Hi,

I am a newbie of using Pixelmator.
I do however find this to be an incredible powerful tool.

I like to create pictures with inspirational quotes or sayings and publish on FB or blog etc.
Most of the times I have used clear solid backgrounds of one color, ie. black background with white text or vice versa.
I've noticed that if the images are of high contrast, they seem to get more noticeable on devices as iPhone, iPad etc.

But I would like to learn how I would be able to create backgrounds that might be more colorful, yet having the text stick out.

New canvas is 960x960 at resolution 72 pixels/inch.

I assume it is possible to accomplish this with Pixelmator in some way.

Anyone who can give some advice or recommendation of tutorial that would fit me request? :)

Thank you in advance!
mwisan

2 years ago

Hey here is a way to make it work:

1. Create a new file.
2. Use the Selection Rectangle (on keyboard type: M) to draw a bar that takes up the center third of the image.
3. Color this center part red.
4. go to: "Edit >> Invert Selection, to select the other two thirds of the image.
5. now Color in the other two thirds with Blue, and some other dark color.
6. Deselect the image (Cmd+D).

7. Go to the "effects" tab, (if its not open go to: "View >> Show Effects" to open it).
8. Scroll down to the bottom, tip you find "Light Leak" add this effect, and others if you want.
9. Experiment with other effects.
10. attached is a color image I made using this technique. Text will still stand out If its Darksince the colors become white-ish with the light leak and snow effects.

Regards.

-- Matthew

mwisan

2 years ago

Another idea is to import an image and apply these same effects so that the image is blurred out. Then you can add text over the blurred image. Just make sure that the image is one you took, or is not under copywrite.
AndieB

2 years ago

Thank you for the tips and ideas mwisan!
mwisan

2 years ago

Sure. Glad you like it. :)

-- mwisan

Please sign in to post.