Trying Pixelmator on iMAC with large 4K Retina Screen

smile4yourself

1 year ago

When I open Pixelmator, all the windows and menus are very small. I can not find a way to resize the menus.

There must be a way...

mccoytest

1 year ago

I also have a 5K 27" iMac (2014). Pixelmator uses the full resolution while active. If you export a png, jpg or gif and look at it in Preview or Quicklook you will see it much larger. The dimensions you use in your artwork - pixels , inches or cm - will be the ones you see outside of Pixelmator. Apple doubles the pixel counts on your Retina display for normal viewing, Pixelmator does not. My workaround is that I double the size of the main window for seeing it as it will look. That does not help or change the sizes of the various menus of Pixelmator.
cjonesthom

1 year ago

Aloha....

Guess what!

3 years later, and NOTHING HAS BEEN CHANGED!

Why do we even waste our timesuggesting or rather BEGGING for Pixelmator tojustswitch from black to white????

Im a friggin'hairdresser, and I am sure I could write the code for that in about 1 hour.

Then...
I wouldlisten to the 4 years of BEGGING to make the menus, the brush interface, EVERYTHING bigger!
The size of the tool icons is smaller than my CURSOR! It totally insane, yet no one is doing anything
about it. That is in spite of NUMEROUS begging posts throughout this forum to change it.

There is PLENTY of space on the screen, what the hell?????

Plain ol' apathy ruining a perfectly good piece of software.
Jeez.

aloha, cjonesthom
Rob Ell

11 months ago

Whoo boy! Do I ever support this request! PLEASE, give an option to enlarge the UI. The current implementation gets in the way of using the program (we're talking the desktop app here) as I have to squint and hunt to find the icon/tool I want on my 27" iMac Retina. No app should get in the way if itself, right?
bope

9 months ago

I have same problem too. When will Pixelmator fix these essential stuff like 'Single Window Mode' or "High Res Icons"?
It seem Pixelmator is suffering by "feature fucking" - Incurable
dasein

2 months ago

For over HALF A DECADE users have asked that the UI be made more user-friendly.

As others have long pointed out, Pixelmator is a chore to use on a large Retina screen; icons and labels are microscopic, and palettes tiny and scattered. The jet-black interface is exhausting on the eyes for many, if not most.

Look at this forum: small type on black background, the worst readability combination for any kind of usage. I hate reading this forum; it's archaic. It may *look* sexy but all usability studies show how awful white text on black is to readability.

The developer has continued to ignore these *basic* usability requests, coasting on past accolades and occasionally delivering new features that perhaps 10-20 percent of users need or want. And now it appears they've been distracted by a new app's development, given the stupid mystery tease on this site's landing page.

I've moved on from Pixelmator, though I'd use it if the screen usability issues were addressed. I find ACORN to be a much better app than Pixelmator, save for a couple of features in Pixelmator not in Acorn. Also, the UI for Acorn is far more enjoyable to use for long periods of time. AFFINITY PHOTO (and Designer) are good alternatives, too, with an *adjustable* dark UI, including sizeable tool labels. It's almost as if they listened to the pleas of Pixelmator users, then delivered what they wanted.

In any case, for most my needs, I avoid Pixelmator at all costs. My eyes thank me.

This is one of those apps that created a lot of media buzz at first, luring many people into purchasing it, then coasting on laurels with occasional releases but ignoring user feedback. In my experience, and from what I see on this board, the developers have little interest in user feedback or suggestions. Almost none at all given they rarely deliver improvements based on feedback.

When someone asks me if I recommend Pixelmator, now it's a strong NO.

Please sign in to post.