Pixelmator Extension for Photos

jwburkhard

2 years ago

Now that Photos supports extensions, are we going to see Pixelmator provide one?

When is the desktop app going to get an update?
jwburkhard

2 years ago

On updates it states that Pixelmator 3.4 was released on September 9, 2015 with extension support, but the latest version in the appstore is 3.3.3?

Why is it that the Pixelmator team doesn't communicate with it's customer base as often as it used to? Do you want us to go with Affinity?

lllusion

2 years ago

Updates page only shows me 3.3.3.
Photos extension is a deal breaker for me.
r0b

2 years ago

It is a little puzzling that their is no extension support available from Pixelmator for OS X. The folks over at Serif had extension support available for Affinity Photo on launch day.
billbir

1 year ago

I was just about to ask the same question. I understood that my Pixelmator 3.3.3 would have extension support. It does show on my Photos extensions under Actions, but I cannot see how to access any of the tools. What is going on, and why does Pixelmatr Support not respond to their Users queries? I have a 27" Mac 5K Retina Desktop.
sirozha

1 year ago

Pixelmator 3..4 was released a few hours ago, with Photos Extensions implemented, but only the Distort feature is available through Photos Extensions from within Photos. Could someone at Pixelmator comment on why the full functionality of Pixelmator is not available from within Photos?

There is still no way to save edits made in Pixelmator on a photo opened from the Photos library in OS X (El Capitan 10.11) back to the Photos library. The edits made to such a photo can only be saved as a different file. Only the Distort effects made in Pixelmator via the Photos Extensions can be saved back in the same photo in the Photos library. This is a good start, but are the rest of the features coming? Are we going to be able to edit photos from the Photos library in Pixelmator and save them back to the Photos library?

Why are we not getting the workflow for which we have been clamoring for so long now? We have been waiting for this to happen for over a year. Please let us know what's going on.
r0b

1 year ago

>but only the Distort feature is available through

I am very disappointed in this too. :(

>Why are we not getting the workflow for which we have been clamoring for so long now?

It's simply not a priority to the Pixelmator team. "Simply have[ing] fun with your photos" seems to be the focus.

I am jumping ship to Affinity Photo now. They listen to their customers and implement features that are productive and useful, features people want and need.

Pixelmator 3.4 contains nothing the users have been asking for, need or expected.
sirozha

1 year ago

There are reports on the Web that the limitations in the functionality of the Photos Extensions is the limitation that Apple has on the Photos Extensions API. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. It's also possible that Pixelmator folks are working on bringing more sophisticated photo editing features as Photos Extensions in later versions.

In the mean time, I want to understand why it is not possible to open a photo from the Photos library in Pixelmator, edit this photo in Pixelmator, and then save it to the Photos library. Whether this edit can be saved as a non-destructive edit, that I don't know. Even if it cannot be saved as a non-destructive edit, Pixelmator can have an option to save the original photo in its own library so that the original photo could always be retrieved from within Pixelmator.

To compare this functionality between Pixelmator for OS X with Pixelmator for iOS, the process described above was not available in Pixelmator for iOS until version 9. PIxelmator actually has a blog that describes the ability to open a photo from the Photos library, edit it in Pixelmator, and save it back to the Photos library starting with iOS 9. Here' the quote from that blog:

Save to PhotosThe Save to Photos feature is quite similar. It helps you to get rid of all of the duplicating inconvenience when editing images from your Photos app. You can now open an image from Photos, edit it in Pixelmator, and save it back onto the same image. Just a much more clever way to edit your photos.
------------

So, it appears that there was a restriction in the Apple's Photos API that prevented this workflow in iOS versions prior to iOS 9. I would think that due to the API feature parity that Apple is trying to maintain between iOS and OS X, this feature to be able to save photo edits to the Photos library should now be available in OS X (10.11) El Capitan.

Can we expect this feature in the next release of Pixelmator for OS X? I am not so keen on Photos Extensions anymore, judging by how limited that functionality is. I do not mind having to manually launch Pixelmator to edit photos that are stored in the Photos library, but I need the ability to save these edits back to the Photos library (hopefully, non-destructively). Even if non-destructive edits are not possible between Pixelmator and photos stored in the Photos library, a destructive editing and saving of the edited photo to the Photos library would be a welcome improvement - as long as Pixelmator can save the original photo in its own library as a means to keep the originals of the edited photos.

-----------

Apple definitely dropped the ball with Photos, making it so limited. The only worthwhile feature of Photos is the ability to synchronize its library across all Apple devices - OS X and iOS based. Apple seems to have indicated in the past that Photos Extensions would solve the problem with the limited functionality of Photos' editing tools, but we are seeing now that this is not as simple as Apple seems to have alluded to in the past. Therefore, the photo editing workflow on the Apple's devices - at least on the OS X devices - is badly broken right now. The "Save to Photos" feature (which already exists in iOS), when introduced to the PIxelmator for OS X, would finally repair the workflow, and inevitably would contribute the the improved marketshare of Pixelmator.

------------

I realize that Pixelmator folks would not discuss their roadmap, but could one of you at least acknowledge you are reading these posts? Could you at least tell us if what we are asking is feasible or if it's completely out of the question due to the current Apple's API restrictions in El Capitan?
SKR Imaging

1 year ago

Don't see what limitations are being stated..

I am using Macphun's Snapheal as an extension for a while now and it provides me a full experience... as if I am opening a plugin through OSX El Capitan'S Photos app... once I finish editing, I hit save and all changes are applied back in my photos Library... IF I hit edit and revert to original, it all goes back to original state (non destructive galore)...

Pixelmator team really needs to acknowledge why they did not provide a full editing experience for their users... I would not have minded waiting till version 4 for them to implement it but just releasing this distort gimmick seems more like they were playing the" me too , me too" game.

Love the Pixelmator team for what they provided to users on Mac in the past but recently, they have been dropping the ball.. My hopes are still up for next version.
My Blog: skrimaging.wordpress.com
ottoburgess

1 year ago

i am wondering how to get the extension in photos. for some reason it is now showing, and there is no way to associate it to photos that i can see. help!

Please sign in to post.