Say goodbye to Pixelmator

ppeanuts

2 years ago

With channel feature in Affinity Photo, now I can remove Pixelmator from my Mac. I've been asked this feature for years and Pixelmator team just ignored my request at all. Anybody ask what good photo editor for Mac is, I will recommend Affinity Photo. I think I should refund Pixelmator as well. Goodbye and thank you for being useless.
Edita

2 years ago

Hi ppeanuts,

Channels are actually available in Pixelmator. You can find this feature in the Photo Browser, under the Color Adjustments group :)
Pixelmator Team
RNKLN

2 years ago

I've also purchased Affinity Photo. I believe it's very powerful (and the Pixelmator team could learn from what Serif has built), but i also believe it's much more complex than Pixelmator. No reason to call Pixelmator useless. I'm convinced i will keep using Pixelmator as the default solution for many of the things i want to do, so it will remain very useful, at least for me.
jmac51

2 years ago

I purchased Pixelmator quite some time ago mostly because of the potential it seemed to have to move away from Photoshop. I never really got into using it at the time and after having been away from it I decided to open the app and take another look. I expected there would be updates to install and there were. But each time I got an error message. So I went to the website only to find you require Yosemite to run the new version. Are you kidding me! I'm running OS 10.9.5 and I can't upgrade my software!?! I take the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" approach to OS upgrades and everything is running just perfect for me right now. Guess i'll be moving on with the Affinity products. Thank you Adobe...er, I mean Pixelmator.
Edita

2 years ago

jmac51, perhaps you were trying to download our free trial? The latest Pixelmator version is still compatible with OS X 10.9.5.
Pixelmator Team
jmac51

2 years ago

Thank you for the reply Edita. I did not attempt to download anything. I launched my old version. I looked under preferences and saw the check for updates button which I clicked and got and error message asking me to check again later. So I went to your website where I saw the new version required Yosemite. Since I don't believe I originally purchased Pixelmator from the Mac App Store I never thought to look there. I see now the current version available for purchase is compatible with my OS and I apologize for my earlier rant.
GrinningShark

2 years ago

I left Pixelmator a while ago. It kind of feels like they've abandoned it, all I ever hear about is the iOS version and that is getting a steady stream of updates...
RNKLN

2 years ago

I've always been and still am a very happy user of Pixelmator, as i have said in a prior reply. I have to agree with GrinningShark though, that lately it feels a bit like the Mac version has been given a lower priority by the Pixelmator guys. Many people are still waiting for a single window interface, a not so black gui as well as non-destructive adjustments. They're still not there, nor has it been communicated by the developers if these features will show up in a not to far away version. And then there's the Pixelmator magazine...
r0b

2 years ago

>Many people are still waiting for a single window interface, a not so black gui as well as non-destructive adjustments.

I don't think you're going to hear from those people much more because many of them are moving over to Affinity Photo. And while AP is a truly wonderful program this still saddens me as Pixelmator is a good little program too.

I agree, Pixelmator for Mac does feel neglected.
ewgino

1 year ago

I have a simple request. Please change the application icon graphic to something more professional looking. Pixelmator is used by some really seasoned designers and the irony of having to click on an icon that looks like something evil Microsoft made back in the 90s is uninspiring.
DK loves Jazz247

1 year ago

I've got Pixelmator, GIMP, Seashore, Affinity Photo & Designer, Photoshop CS 5.5, Photoshop Elements 8 and a few others on my 13" MacBook Pro and I use Autodesk Pixlr in a browser. Why? There are several reasons-- because I like to play around in different apps, so I can make intelligent recommendations to friends, 'cause one will do something another can't and 'cause I like to support indie developers. I've seen Pixelmator become quite good, robust and very versatile over time--kudos to them. They built a product that works for a good chunk of folks. Some genuine professionals, other just wanting to do more to their pix than iPhoto/Photos offers, maybe do some light compositing for a church, school or small biz flyer or just let their creative flag fly--without spending a ton of cash and/or needing to take classes.And, most important-- "Is this right for me?" "Can I get the work done with this tool?" 'Cause you can drive a nail with a large enough wrench, but it'll go a lotbetter if you use a hammer.

At Pixelmator's price point ($30.00), I never expected it to be a "replacement" for PhotoshopCS($600.00), but I've done some good and interesting work, even fooled a couple of college instructors, and I've recommended it to friends who use it in the ways described above. Pixelmator's team has given its users a good product and good value. I don't need to defend them--the product has spoken for itself for sometime. But if anyone wants to "jump ship", just go--don't make a big deal because something isn't working for you; and certainly no need for "name-calling." I think we all need to practice a bit more gentleness and kindness toward each other. End of my little rant.

Best Wishes To All--for work(paid), doing and creating good work, Families and Friends in the coming year! Be Blessed! Be a Blessing!
AngelArs

1 year ago

I learned a long time ago that Adobe doesn't care about its customers. All they care about is gouging their customers.

I thank God for both Pixelmator and Affinity Photo because they both offer great products at a reasonable price.

Each one excels in different areas. However I AM concerned that Pixelmator is focusing way too much on the iOS app, and not on the Mac version of software. For this reason I have switched to usingAffinityPhoto more than Pixelmator.

AffinityPhoto is a higher end product, even better than Photoshop IMO. Pixelmator - could - be just as good as Affinity Photo but sadly Pixelmator has fallen way behind. While I use Affinity Photo (and Designer) for most of my projects, I still support Pixelmator and hope that they get back on the ball and continue to develop it, instead of the iOS app.
Pegasus

1 year ago

Yes you can! I would recommend it!

Please sign in to post.