Open jpeg - image displays as empty checkerboard

chillisauce

8 months ago

Since I upgraded to MacOs Sierra many of my Jpeg images are failing to display in Pixelmator. You can open the file, but all you see is an empty checkerboard. If you select 'Show Layers' you can see there is a single layer, with the correct image shown, but there's nothing on the main editing window. This seems to be affecting about 30% of my files. Always the same ones - either a file will open properly every time, or it fails every time.

Any idea what's going on? It's not really usable at the moment. Which is a pity, since I've been using Pixelmator for several years now, with no major issues. I have the latest version (3.5.1), and I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" (late 2015)
Motiejus

8 months ago

Hi chillisauce,

Could you drop us line at support@pixelmator.com regarding this issue and perhaps attach an example file? We'll take it from there.
Pixelmator Team
clickityClack

8 months ago

I just had this start happening as well with pngs that I exported from Photos. will add in a file.
Dany

7 months ago

Same here.
I took a photo with my iPhone 7 this morning, it went to iCloud, was downloaded automatically on my mac (Sierra 10.12.1) and I exported it from "Photos".The file is opened in Pixelmator 3.5.1 as a blank layer.
Opening the same file in "Preview"-App works, copying the image to clipboard (cmd-c) and inserting it into Pixelmator using cmd-v crashes Pixelmator immediately.
Compressed file (zip) is in my Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7nv6tcvo5gnl ... g.zip?dl=0

Other images - even from the same iPhone - can be opened without any problems in Pixelmator.

I hope you can find a solution.

Best regards,
Dany

//edit: Funny part ... well more or less "funny" ... opening the file with preview, resize the file to 99% of it's size and save the file using a new name and the format png instead of jpg still makes no difference. After modifying the image in another software, I expected the file to be "completely" different.
PMacUser1932

7 months ago

I'm having this same issue. I only see the checkerboard for several pictures I've imported; while for others I can view them properly even though the exact same process was used to import them.
irco

7 months ago

This happen to me also using Pixelmator on my MacBook Pro with Sierra. All files opens blank/black. I see the image in the Layers toolbar.
ddxiii

7 months ago

Same problem here. MacBookPro 15 inches withe macOS Sierra 10.12.1
51m0n

7 months ago

I'm having the same issue. I'm on MacOS Sierra too.

Screenshot attached:

51m0n

7 months ago

A work-around appears to be to open the JPG in Preview and export as PDF and then open the PDF with Pixelmator.
btn

7 months ago

Me too. I'm running Pixelmator Version 3.5.1 Canyon (60809) on macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555) on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). Let me know if you need more sample files.

-Brian
agniseit

7 months ago

I have the same issue.

A work-around is to open the file, then select the marquee tool (m), select the whole picture (cmd-A), copy (cmd-C), open a new file (cmd-N) with a white background, and paste the contents of the clipboard (cmd-V).
jimburrill

7 months ago

I am having the same issue. ONLY, the JPEG version of my image opens fine but the TIFF and PNG versions do not. I am running MaxOs X Version10.12.1 (16B2555) and PixelmatorVersion 3.5.1 Canyon (60809).
Motiejus

7 months ago

Hey guys,

Thanks for your patience. We've identified this issue to be related to "Apple Wide Color Sharing Profile" that new iPhones are using for their photos. We've managed to fix the issue with our latest Pixelmator release that's available to download via the Mac App Store.
Pixelmator Team

Please sign in to post.