Saving PNGs in (wrong) format

Shinkiro1

10 months ago

So I am making a game and my game was rendering images in sligthly the wrong color.
Now after 3 hours I found out that saving via Share -> Export solves the problem.
Saving via File -> Save and Share -> Export for Web somehow exports an image that doesn't work (with OpenGL).

Could you explain the difference between the 3 saving options?

PS: the thing is, now I can't just open a png, make some changes, close it (and it autosaves).
now I have to open, export via share->export and make sure autosave is not enabled ...
Motiejus

10 months ago

Hey Shinkiro1,

The main difference between regular Export and Export for Web is that Export for Web does not add a ColorSynch profile (ICC profile) for the image and rather leaves this setting as None. In Web development this usually helps avoiding the unwanted color shifting since web browsers do tend to apply their own RGB ICC profile when previewing images. Might be that the similar case is with OpenGL, just the opposite effect.

If you'd like to open, edit and save the PNG file in it's native format, make sure to deselect the "Open documents in Pixelmator file format" option in Pixelmator's preferences (Pixelmator > Preferences).

If you do want to disable the auto save feature systemwide, go to System Preferences > General and select the "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" checkbox. This way whenever closing the file you'll be prompted with a question what would you like to do with the original file.
Shinkiro1

9 months ago

>This way whenever closing the file you'll be prompted with a question what would you like to do with the original file.
Which is really cumbersome ...
I just want to open a png, make some changes and then close it again (with the changes saved).
It seems this is not possible right now.
Motiejus

9 months ago

It actually is possible, just make sure that both, "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" checkbox in System Preferences >General and"Open documents in Pixelmator file format" in Pixelmator > Preferences are deselected. This way the PNG image should beautomaticallysaved to the original file whenever closing the Document Window in Pixelmator.
Pixelmator Team

Please sign in to post.