Improved performance on 2011 Mac computers (Intel HD 3000)

Andrius

1 year ago

Pixelmator 3.4.1 has just been released through the Mac App Store and includes some significant performance improvements for Mac computers from 2011 that have Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics cards.

Pixelmator should now be faster and more responsive than with the previous version on these particular Mac computers. This update has the best solution that we could find so far, although the underlying graphics driver issues haven't been fixed yet. Because of that, you may sometimes get crashes when working on or saving images with more than a few layers, especially text or shape layers.

If you have any crashes or performance issues when editing images with Pixelmator, we'd love to help you out. To get help as quickly as possible, it would be great if you could send the files you're having trouble with to support@pixelmator.com along with a short description of what's happening. A quick guide on uploading files and emailing them to us can be found at the link below:

https://pixelmator.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1236372-uploading-files

Finally, for those of you who have emailed us about this already, we'll make sure to let you know about a full fix the moment we hear about it ourselves. We'd also like to say a big thank you for your patience and all your help with this.
arnelmercado

1 year ago

Great work you guys! I have a 2011 Macbook Pro, and after the update the performance was dramatically improved. I mean there's still lag but it's much better than before. I'm so happy that I can be productive once again with the application. ^)^
SKR Imaging

1 year ago

Just to let you all know that this update has fixed my biggest complaint!! thank you.. I can now export my full res pictures from Canon 70D to any other format without having issues.. before this update, I had to scale down the image to export.

thanks a lot Pixelmator team.. glad to see the Mac app getting some love still.
My Blog: skrimaging.wordpress.com
Kaz S

1 year ago

I'm still having MAJOR issues editing 300dpi images with a large amount of layers in the current version. Running Twist on El Capitan on MBP Early 2011 with a custom 16GB memory upgrade and seeing the following (in no particular order):

Extremely slow and heavy zoom (ie, too close or further than anticipated) resulting in pixellation and "white noise" appearing on the image (like an old analog TV tuned out)

Layers remain in layer list but are not visible in the image (this is crazy!)

Slow overall response to any edits or moving of elements in workspace, resulting in a need to quit.
Slow quit and odd behaviour across the machine during/after quitting (Finder disappears, or seems fragmented, I had wifi on at the time, this was suddenly showing as "not configured" this naturally made me a bit concerned!).

Anyone else getting any of these issues? My machine is otherwise fine. The overall size of the file I have been having issues with is little more than a hi definition picture (5.9MB)

These issues make Pixelmator unusable for anything but the most basic of edits on small files.
I'm really disappointed as prior to upgrading OSX Pixelmator worked absolutely fine, and I'd been using it for YEARS with no issues at all.

I've emailed Support with the file too, and screen caps so they might be able to try and replicate this and find a fix.

Feel kind of sorry for Pixelmator support as it's probably not their fault. I suspect it's Apple thinking that everyone has enough cash to replace their machines every time a new OS comes out. :-( What happened? Apple used to be really good at making sure stuff still worked across models. My machine is only four years old and prior to that I had an iBook G4 (yes really!) which trundled on for eight years! It would have lasted longer if Apple hadn't removed Software support for it. :-(
Yellar

11 months ago

Feel kind of sorry for Pixelmator support as it's probably not their
fault. I suspect it's Apple thinking that everyone has enough cash to
replace their machines every time a new OS comes out. :-( What happened?
Apple used to be really good at making sure stuff still worked across
models. My machine is only four years old and prior to that I had an
iBook G4 (yes really!) which trundled on for eight years! It would have
lasted longer if Apple hadn't removed Software support for it. :-(

I know, Apple are becoming a pain in the butt. Constantly trying to get you to upgrade and buy new releases of their products.

How about making a product that just works for a long time.

Editing 300dpi images is still an issue for me too.
You can see my review on the proextender website I just added.

Please sign in to post.