Layers not working properly

Richard Due

1 year ago

Since upgrading to El Capitan, one of my projects doesn't work correctly anymore.

It appears to be a layering problem. My last layer is field of black. The problem is, this black layer is covering most of my other layers, as if it was third in line rather than at the very end. I can delete the black layer, and see my other layers correctly, but if I try to add a new layer, it crashes (100% of the time).

I tried rebuilding the project by creating a completely new file, followed by bringing over the various layers from the old project one at a time. But when I do that, within just the first few layers, everything goes black (this is long before I get to bringing over the black layer.

I tried saving as a new file, eliminating the black layer, then saving. But when I try and add it back, it crashes.

I was hoping the El Capitan update out, Twist, it would fix things, but it behaves exactly the same way.
Angela

1 year ago

Hi Richard, it's not just a El Capitan issue. I've been communicating with support for about 2 weeks on this same issue and it happened when I upgraded to the latest version of Yosemite.

I either cannot select any layer to edit or I can only select the last layer that was created. I too tried rebuilding from scratch and as soon as I added a new layer or text block the previous layer could not be selected.

I thought upgrading to El Capitan would help because the app said "works great with El Capitan" but it didn't, I even deleted and reinstalled Pixelmator. Still nothing.
Richard Due

1 year ago

Oh, dear. That's not good.

The file I'm having problems with I created in Yosemite. And they worked fine. I wonder if trashing Pixelmator's preference file might help.
DLHuntriss

1 year ago

I am also having trouble with layers not responding with the erase tool or brushes when I use the trackpad on my Macbook Pro (Yosemite upgraded from Mavericks Mid 2012. ) Really frustrating. I want to erase or paint on a layer but they don't respond on any layer.
Motiejus

1 year ago

HeyDLHuntriss,

Have you checked if the Opacity slider for the Eraser and Brush tools is set to more than 0% in the Tools Option Bar? Also, for the Brush Tool, are you using the Normal blending mode?
Pixelmator Team

Please sign in to post.