Change color doesn't work for black or white pixels

Some Bloke

1 year ago

I have an image with only black and white pixels. It will remain that way forever, because Replace Colour doesn't work for pixels of either of those colours.
So far nothing I have tried to do with Pixelmator has worked
Motiejus

1 year ago

Hey Some Bloke,

It's kinda expected that nor white nor black colors are being replaced while using the Replace Color effect, since white color represents the idea that there's no color, and black, well, it means that there are all of the colors mixed up together. Basically, replacing these two wouldn't make any sense, and it's not something what's exceptional only in Pixelmator. It's common in pretty much every image editing app. If you're looking to replace these two particular colors, you might consider using the Fill feature (Edit > Fill).
Pixelmator Team
BluesBrother

4 months ago

I disagree that "Replacing these two colors [black and white] wouldn't make any sense."I found the tutorial for Change Color and thought, "Aha!" and then fiddled around with it for 10-15 minutes and couldn't get it to work! Then I found this post in the Forum. My image happens to be black on a white background - it's a signature. All I want to do is change the black "ink" to another color, such as blue. I think this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but I can't do it with Pixelmator's Change Color feature! I don't see how the use of Fill will solve my problem (replacing only the foreground color, while leaving the background color intact).
Andrius

4 months ago

To add to what Motiejus said, Replace Color works by changing the balance of red, green, and blue equally in an image or layer. Because with white, black, or shades of grey, the balance of red, green, and blue is completely equal, shifting all the colors in equal measure (as Replace Color does) has no effect. With that said, there are a few different ways to achieve the effect you're after and the following one is pretty quick and pretty simple:

1. Add an empty layer above your black and white layer
2. Use the Paint Bucket Tool (or Edit > Fill) to fill the layer with your required color
3. In the Layers palette, change the Blending Mode of the layer you've just filled to Screen

There's also an effect called False Color in the Effects Browser, which would work equally well for this (if not better) – simply set white as the Secondary Color, and then set whatever color you'd like to replace black with as the Primary Color.

Please sign in to post.