save as psd

ulrik

2 years ago

I would like Pixelmator to "Save" (not export) in different image types, it would be great if it could save in the type that you first saved it in.
So if I chose to save a new document in psd, png or whatever, it should save that document in the same format every time I save it.
I know that some formats doesn't preserve the unique settings and abilities that Pixelmator can do, but if it had that feature it would help certain ways of working a lot.
Regards / Ulrik
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

Hi ulrik! If you open the Pixelmator preferences you'll find a setting there called "Open documents in Pixelmator file format". It's most likely selected. Deselect it and exit the preferences. From now on Pixelmator will respect the file format of the original file.
ulrik

2 years ago

Hi Sebastian, thank for taking the time to answer, much appreciated!

I don't have that checkbox selected, what I meant was that if opening a psd file with Pixelmator, I would like to Command+S the file and Pixelmator would save it as a psd file because it was and is a psd file from the beginning.
As it is now I have to go through this steps every time I want to save the file.
1. Command+S
2. check the "Save Copy As" checkbox
3. chose the psd file format
4. save it
5. and last I have to accept "overwriting the existing file"
if I now make a new edit in the document and want to save it again I have to go through this steps again, except step 3 "Chosing the file format" (Pixelmator remember that)

I often work with animation in a program named Anime Studio Pro v.11, this program can open psd files intact, so that I have all layers in ASP as it is in Pixelmator. Often I have to edit the image layers and I do that in Pixelmator and as soon as I save these changes in Pixelmater it will be updated in ASP at once (Live mode)
It would be so much easier to work in this setup if Pixelmatr could save directly in chosen file format.

Regards / Ulrik
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

Mmm okay. On my mac with OS X Yosemite I can hit command+S without being asked anything.
What is your OS X version?
Could it be that you have "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" activated in OS X's general settings?
ulrik

2 years ago

I'm on El Capitan Beta 5 right now, but it was the same behavior in Yosemite for me. Where can I find "closing documents" activated in OS X general settings?
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

Just open the System preferences. By default it is located in the dock. Then in the upper left corner you find the icon for the general settings. Open it and you'll find the"Ask to keep changes when closing documents" option.
ulrik

2 years ago

Thank you for pointing in the right direction, but it does not help, Lets say I create a doc in Pixelmator, I "Save a copy" in psd format and name it "Test", when it's saved it is indeed named "Test.psd" but the very same doc in pixelmator is still named "Untitled" and it shows it has been "edited". So I make some more edits to the open doc in P and hit "Save", I will get the same window telling me to save it as "Untitled.pxm" and the checkbox for "save a copy as: photoshop or other formats", is still unchecked, so I check the box that I will save it as "Test" in Photoshop-format and hit enter, I'll get a notice "Test.psd" already exists, do you want to replace it, and I have to press "Yes" and then it's saved :)
But I still have the very same doc open in P and it's still named "Untitled" and so on....
Is it possible to change this behavior? Or, do I really, when I'm working in this setup, have to work in another image editor to make this work?
Please tell me that it is possible to do what I want to do,

Regards / Ulrik
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

If you create a document from scratch in Pixelmator then you will always have your document in the Pixelmator file format even after you export it, which is the same as using "save a copy" your original document will not change to another format. That is how Pixelmator works and you'll find the same behavior in most other apps as this behavior has become part of the standard design guidelines from Apple.

What you can try is holding the option key when or after opening the file menu. Then you'll find an option called "save as.." This will most likely save and transform your document into the desired format.

What I mentioned above, with changing the pixelmator preferences, only works if your original document is in a non pixelmator file format. Then Pixelmator will respect the original format and open for example a PSD-file as a PSD-file and will save back to it to a PSD-file . So for this to work you'll have to start with a PSD-file and not create a document from scratch.
ulrik

2 years ago

"What I mentioned above, with changing the pixelmator preferences, only works if your original document is in a non pixelmator file format. Then Pixelmator will respect the original format and open for example a PSD-file as a PSD-file and will save back to it to a PSD-file . So for this to work you'll have to start with a PSD-file and not create a document from scratch."

This is not working as you say it would unfortunately, Pixelmator still try to save in P format and I still have to use the checkbox for "Save copy as"...psd

I feel this discussion does not lead anywhere I'm afraid, I'm really sorry that I can't work the way I would like to :(

What I wanted to do was to have to option to make Pixelmator save as psd when hitting "Save" but that does not seem possible I'm afraid.
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

"What I wanted to do was to have to option to make Pixelmator save as psd when hitting "Save" but that does not seem possible I'm afraid."

This should work if you have deactivated"Open documents in Pixelmator file format" in the Pixelmator preferences and your original document is in the PSD format.

If you create a document from scratch then it is always in the Pixelmator document format by default and you should hold the option key when opening the file menu and choose "save as..." to save your document as a PSD-file.
ulrik

2 years ago

Sebastiaan

2 years ago

This seems like a problem with the Pixelmator preferences. The lack of an icon besides the name of the PSD-document suggests that Pixelmator actually converts the image to the PXM-file format when opening even if you told it to do otherwise.

We can try to solve this by going to the Pixelmator preferences, activate "Open documents in the Pixelmator file format", close the preferences and then opening the preferences again and now deactivate "Open documents in the Pixelmator file format". This will force overwrite this particular setting in the preferences.

Now open your PSD document again, make an edit and save it or just close the document (this will autosave). If you still see that Pixelmator wants to save the document in the PXM-format, then you most likely have found a bug. Then we need to know your mac specs and OS X version and if possible a copy of the PSD-file in question for testing.

In the mean time as a work around, I see that you have the save as... option in your file menu. This will also make it possible to save back to the original PSD-file.
ulrik

2 years ago

Ok, I tried what you said and it didn't help.
I am using OS X 10.11-beta (15A262e)
and it happens with Pixelmator v.3.3.2 Limestone (50417)
it also happens with v. 1.6.8 Nucleus (10648)
On my other computer with OS X 10.9.5 it also happens withPixelmator v.3.3.2 Limestone (50417)
Here are a psd file as well:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ithqruox52ck ... n.psd?dl=0
/Ulrik
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

Thanks ulrik. I'll forward this to the devs and move this to the bugs forum.
ulrik

2 years ago

Ok, thanks!
How will I know when or if it will be fixed?
Edita

2 years ago

Hi guys,

This is actually expected behaviour. As PSD is Photoshop's file format, Pixelmator cannot open PSDs in their native file format. PSD files are always automatically converted to PXM.
Pixelmator Team
ulrik

2 years ago

That is bad for my way of working, that is why I asked it as a feature request :)
And if Pixelmator is intended to "always automatically convert opened files to PXM, why on earth, do PM have the "Open documents in the Pixelmator file format" checkbox? :)
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

Indeed the user would expect that deactivating the "Open documents in the Pixelmator file format" checkbox is valid for all non-pixelmator file formats including PSD-files. Thisopposite might be expected behavior for the devs, but it is far from expected for the end user, unless the user gets informed about it.

I don't see any problem with a PSD-file being opened as a PXM-file as a work-around, but when the checkbox "Open documents in the Pixelmator file format" is deactivated, Pixelmator should be able to remember that the original was a PSD and just save it back as a PSD. After all, it is fully possible to export and "save as..." back to a PSD-file. This would make Pixelmator's behavior far more consistent.
ulrik

2 years ago

Sebastian, you're absolutely right, but the "workaround" which means 5 clicks instead of 1 for saving the edited psd file is not an option if you're working back and forth with the same psd file during a couple of hours, and maybe have to save it 30-40 times, that will result in 150-200 clicks instead of 30-40 :)
You should seriously consider make PM remember the "save as ......any format..." .
I do love PM, don't get me wrong, but for this work I have to rely on Sketchbook Pro which have this option already.
ulrik

2 years ago

Could someone move this topic to "feature requests"again please, as Edita said, it's not a bug, so for me it's a "feature request"
Regards Ulrik
ulrik

2 years ago

Ok, I see the topic is in feature requests as well, sorry....
loboy

1 year ago

I also find this extremely irritating when saving. I should be able to open a .psd file and hit save and it saves the file as a .psd.
greenland

1 year ago

I'm using Unity, which snubs pxm format and works with psd... and this is rather infuriating. I've attempted changing the Unity IDE to intercept the import process and use the Pixelmator services in Automator to apply conversion ad hoc... but I don't think the API will do what I need it to.

It would be great if the "Open in Pixelmator format" checkbox actually did something. If the file format on save does not respect the file format on load, then the input file format is arbitrary anyway. If it saves as Pixelmator format by default, then the option to open it as any other format is objectively pointless.
JacksonGrey312

6 months ago

Did Pixelmator start supporting .PSD file format all ready? I stopped using it so much because of it.
Sebastiaan

6 months ago

Pixelmator has had support for PSD-files for many years JacksonGrey321. However the PSD-file format is a closed format so opening PSD-files made in other apps can cause incompatibility issues. When you create PSD files in Pixelmator they will work fine with most other apps and perfect with Pixelmator itself.

Please sign in to post.