Slightly blurry images when exporting

zeno11

2 years ago

Pixelmator is a great piece of software and I continue to be amazed by how many quality features you get for such a good price.

My current version is 3.3.2 Limestone but this particular "bug" has been present in the previous versions aswell. Running on a mid-2012 retina Macbook Pro.

Whenever i export an image from Pixelmator (be it .jpeg or .png - max quality) the images turn out to be *slightly* blurry - compared to the actual thing i've been working on the canvas. Like the compression similar of what you get when taking a screen capture.

For example, i created a new document with the preset "iPhone desktop", 640x920px, 72dpi, rotated it 90 degrees, added two layers of text, converted them to shapes for adding gradients, and finally merged all the layers and exported as a maximum quality jpeg. I attached the result where you (or atleast I am) are able to see the fact that the edges of the letters are slightly blurry.

I don't know if it's just my case or a general issue, but thought i'd give it a shot here in the discussions.

Thanks in advance!

PS: i'm no graphics/design professional user/creator, just the occasional i-want-to-make-a-banner/image composition, etc type of user. There might be some degree of mistake on my side and I would appreciate it very much if someone "brought light" in this case.
Motiejus

2 years ago

Hi zeno11,

Maybe it's just me, but in my eyes it looks like it's just the result of the .jpeg and .png file formats compression.
Pixelmator Team
ioserg

2 years ago

I have the same problem, both images and text come out blurry.
Can someone from pixelmator help us out?

Thanks
Motiejus

2 years ago

Hi ioserg,

Hmmm, weird. Could you by any chance share some examples?
Pixelmator Team
avittengl

1 year ago

I have the same issue. When exporting an image, the text (and sometimes the image) comes out blurry. It looks fine until it is uploaded to my blog or social media. I have searched this site and google for answers. I am coming up short. I would appreciate help with this matter, as well.
Motiejus

1 year ago

@avittengl, in such a case Pixelmator has nothing to do with it, I'm afraid. Depending on where you are uploading the image at, the website might apply some sort of compression on the image what could furthermore result in a degraded overall quality.

Another possible reason for this could be that you're using a Mac with a Retina display, but your blog itself isn't optimized for the Retina displays. In such case, images you upload will always appear blurred and pixelated.
Brandonlk

1 year ago

I agree as well. I upload content to Facebook and to Amazon for my job and they are always blurry. Or just not as clear as they are when I am working on them. It really drives me crazy because someone else will do the same thing using Photoshop and it doesn't happen to them and I look like the idiot. haha
Celeste G

3 months ago

Hello guys,

I am really upset about this too. Why isn't anyone helping us ?

I made another post where I give also examples and pictures.
c12281

3 months ago

I have this problem as well. Exported jpgs and pngs are always a bit blurry.
Kurator

2 months ago

Same here... jpg and png are always a bit blurry in new photos. This has been a while...
Louise Montgrain

Please sign in to post.