Pixelmator and MacOSX 10.11 El Capitan

Vectrex71

2 years ago

Pixelmator and MacOSX 10.11 El Capitan not really usable :-( here are tons of fails :-( This is NOT your fault ! This thread here is just an information, I love Pixelmator !
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

El Capitan is not out yet it is therefore no surprise that Pixelmator doesn't work with a not publicly released final version of an upcoming OS . Besides this the team will off course run their own tests with El Capitan and fix issues accordingly.

To not confuse our non-developer non-betatest users, please refrain from posting issues regarding Pixelmator and upcoming OS X releases on the forums. Rather write a mail to support@pixelmator.com. We appreciate it that you test the current version of Pixelmator on a new OS and we appreciate it that you help out finding issues for us. But please send these directly to us in stead of publishing them on the public forums.

Also if you want to help the team out. Writing that there are a ton of fails, doesn't really help. We need your mac specs, current Pixelmator version, current build of El Capitan and a description of how to reproduce every issue you come across.
Vectrex71

2 years ago

Ok ! But please let me mention again ! It was NOT a criticism ! Beta is Beta ! I'm also a developer (Not so successful as you) , but anyway :-) I know , you and your team will kill all this dirty bugs in a massive battle ! Wish you all the best !
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

We appreciate the feedback Vectrex71, don't take me wrong. The Pixelmator forums is just not the place to inform us about issues regarding upcoming OS X releases. Like most developers the team is already testing El Capitan and I'm pretty sure that they have already discovered lots of issues that they will have to fix before the official release of El Capitan.
IlyaT

2 years ago

Its obviously not a breaking news, but i would like to remind that El Capitan has a public beta program which opening soon.
And as we know from Yosemite - public beta has a huge install rates, about 10%, If i remember correctly. And it should be much higher on El Capitan just because its much more stable.
Actually, Pixelmator is the only critical problem (for me). and I really dont wanna roll back, but also cant work without Pixelmator.
So, i would be really glad if you could tell me anything about time and priorities of all known problems solving - than ill make a decision about rolling back or stay and waiting for solution.
Thank you very much anyway :)
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

In general you should never ever, install beta-sofware on a system that is 'mission critical'. Meaning that you are depending on things to work or else you cannot do your work. This is off course even more important when we're talking about beta versions of operating systems. Don't install them on systems that you rely / depend on.

Also when installing beta-software you should be prepared to roll back at any time. That's the nature of beta software. It's for testing purposes not for production purposes.

It's very much appreciated that Pixelmator users test Pixelmator on the latest beta version of OS X and any bug reports are more than welcome when they are send to support@pixelmator.com. Any feedback is welcome and I'm sure some of the people who report good bug-reports will be involved in beta-testing Pixelmator for OS X El Capitan.

But, but, but, please don't post on the forums about the current version of Pixelmator not working with El Capitan. El Capitan is not officially out yet in its final release. Therefore it shouldn't come as a surprise that Pixelmator, or any other apps, for that matter don't work flawlessly with El Capitan. One also has to take into account that any work that you do with apps in El Capitan might get corrupted, lost or damaged in any other way. Be prepared to do back-ups, roll-backs etc. when beta-testing.

When it comes to priorities. An official Pixelmator version that is El Capitan ready, most likely will be released right before or right after the final release of El Capitan. The teams tends to be very quick with such releases. With other apps you might not be so lucky.
IlyaT

2 years ago

Thanks, i got an answer.
Feel a butawkward about stealingfrom youat least 40 minutes for suchexpressive answer :)

Anyway need toemphasize, that i claim nothing and have no problems with your updating policy.
Just to clarify: i usually install betas on the 1st day (with more then one Mac - it could be a problem, but not a tragic one).
And every single developer with huge bugs in his app - fix it, and deliver special builds for beta users long before OS releases.

Its common practice, like, you know, not talking to you clients like they are retarded.
But its ok, i got your point.
Thank for app and good luck :)
Vectrex71

2 years ago

Sorry, but In my case, i deleted Pixelmator. because it's the only Software that does NOT work on El Capitan. I downloaded "Affinity Photo" (also in Beta, but it works super fine with El Capitan). Time is money !
JaydenIrwin

2 years ago

When can we expect an update?
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

Historically the team has always released an update right before or after the release of a major OS X update. So when the final GM-release of El Capitan hits the app store you will most likely find an update of Pixelmator in the app store a few days beforehand or later.
PIersandro

2 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion Vectrex71, I'll buy Affinity Photo. It's not possible that a bug like the resize/move that upside down the image will not be solved until the release of the GM.

I use El Capitan in one of my Macs and I had to cut and resize image with Preview or Gimp and than import in Pixelmator to work. I cannot continue like this all the summer, so the only solution it's to change image editing software.
njharris97

2 years ago

Hello, I appreciate your concerns about posting about El Capitan until it is officially released. However can I stress, that forums are there to inform and help people. And now the Public Beta has been released, members of the public will be upgrading. If Vectrex71hadn't posted these findings on the world wide web, I would have upgraded to El Capitan hoping that this app works. But since this posting is here, people who are considering El Capitan and use Pixelmator can now make an informed decision, so therefore this IS the correct place to post this, as I use Pixelmator a lot, and I would have been in a bit of a pickle without this information.

This issue needs to be public knowledge now the public beta program is released.

However saying that, here is a message to people who are not familiar with OS X betas. They are buggy, and it is normal for powerful apps like this to not work. Please do not fear, Pixelmator is a very stable product, and ALL of these bugs will be removed by the public release, I am sure.
Sebastiaan

2 years ago

The concern is that people can get confused about what works and not. Personally I recommend that people don't install beta software on mission critical systems. If you want to play around with the beta, please do, but lengthy bug reports on the forums here will only increase the risk of confusing people who stay away from beta software which is the majority of users. So better to post bug reports directly to the teams e-mail. I agree that the team should have posted an announcement and informational post on the forums before the beta release of El-Capitan.
huska

2 years ago

I found that Pixelmator is not working with El Capitan few days later after upgrade *aghrr*. I hope we will see Pixelmator version 3.3.3 soon.
huska

2 years ago

Changing my last post, all is functional now.
After restart Pixelmator just works again.

Btw, El Capitan Beta II is out too.
morten.andersen

2 years ago

I'm on El Cap Beta 4 and completely deleting Pixelmator and then re-installing it from the App-Store made it work again.
ivyhill

2 years ago

Is it working yet with El Cap beta 5?
mchamberlain

2 years ago

Like morten.andersen said above:

If you're having problems with Pixelmator 3.3.2 using El Capitan, just delete the app, empty the trash, then re-download it from the App Store. Worked like a charm for me — everything's back to normal.

Note #1: I'm running the public beta, currently release 3.
Note #2: I also deleted Pixelmator files from /Library/Preferences and /Library/Containers — just in case.

Hope this works for other gun-jumpers until the public release.
GreyAreaUK

2 years ago

I downloaded El Cap Public Beta 3 last night and Pixelmator now seems to be fine - the 'flip upside-down and explode' resize issue has gone (for me).
bezicto

2 years ago

In El Capitan Beta 8 (dev) the issue has been resolved.
paulied77

2 years ago

Latest public beta crashes frequently for me when adding or saving with text layers.. It's kind of crazy to me that their app has so many problems at each os change. I wonder what dependencies they have on the OS that has changed so much.
BMann

2 years ago

@mchamberlain

What problems were you having? I am running Pixelmator 3.3.3 and El Capitan 10.11.1, and while I've had issues with Pixelmator every since Yosemite, they're of the 'glitchy graphics' sort.

In the past the app was extremely unstable, though currently it's actually pretty solid, expect when I use the Magic Wand tool, and things then revert back to what I have come to accept as normal.

I'm guessing that the problems that you are seeing aren't of the sort I've been dealing with, though I want to stick with Pixelmator (I've had a pretty mediocre experience with Adobe's Creative Cloud–if you're under the yearly plan, and are considering cancelling, do so before the six-month mark, or they're try to charge you a fee. And don't let them give you any free months to reconsider, since the goal seems to get you closer to that point that where they can charge you a fee).
BMann

2 years ago

Replying to my own post here (and a shoutout to mchamberlain, thanks!).

I was reading the thread above, and while mchamberlain didn't go into any detail why he did an reinstall of Pixelmator, I figured, Why not? So I uninstalled it (though with an uninstaller app, so it could be done completely as possible) and reinstalled via the Mac App Store.

And so far, it works just fine (incl. the Magic Wand tool!), and noticed no graphical glitches (I was working on a project for a half-hour, which is the most stable its been in recent memory).

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth–which means I am going to do just that– but I need to understand WHY the uninstall/reinstall worked. I have theories, but I need a bit more informed perspective.
FrankB

2 years ago

I have the official release of El Capitan (installed on October 1st). Pixelmator is really misbehaving. Some files open with a blank canvas and yet all the layers can be seen and are made visible in the layers inspector. Editing files also causes problems with graphics sudenly becoming blocky and selection tools causing areas of solid black to appear which cannot be removed. The only option appears to be to force close the system by using the Mac's off button. Even opening existing PXM files and exporting them to PDF creates partial exports with many of the layers missing from the PDF - in some cases, the PDF is just a completely blank white page. All in all, not a good start with a new OS.
NMBob

2 years ago

Just fired up 3.3.3 on a clean install of El Capitan. The tools are all messed up. In the Color Adjustments If I click on Auto Enhance it selects the Black & White tool, for example. The context menu for any tool I right-click on to add to the favorites does not match the name of the tool that I'm clicking on. Could not get rid of all of the tools in the favorites. It wouldn't let me select the last three. Thanks!
Jcolger2000

1 year ago

3.3.3 crashes my iMac every try under El Capitan final release.
Have to restart - layers vanish, screen goes blank in odd ways, visual scrambles. Hope you can get this fixed. Love the program.
greenlit

1 year ago

updated iOS to El Capitan on my MBP mid 2009 when it was officially released.

i haven't had any "tool" issues or even graphic issues with PXM the way some people on this thread have experienced.

BUT....

when i try to save edits to files that were saved under Yosemite... Pixelmator crashes.

even when i try to copy and paste certain images that i edited (instead of whole files), into a new (created after the update) the PXM file crashes.

Pixelmator is amazing - want to keep using it.

Need a NEW update to match up with El Capitan!!
HansH1965

1 year ago

On my Macbook Pro (2013) Pixelmator 3.3.3 won't start at all. No tools or anything. It has blank screens. So same issue here.
Motiejus

1 year ago

Hey guys,

Drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com. We'll be able to react quicker this way. Would be great if you'd also include your Mac's full specifications (Apple menu > About This Mac) and the crash logs, if there are any.

Thanks!
Pixelmator Team
HansH1965

1 year ago

I dropped you a line at the support inbox.
Thx.
ninakata

1 year ago

I have had a problem with Pixelmator cutting out the center 80% of each image I try to edit. Any tool I use. Even when just trying to open a RAW file, and convert to PNG (no edit), by exporting.
I have an Olympus camera so my file format is ORF for RAW. I shoot 100 images daily. If I can not use this app, I will have to buy another one. Tech support is not very helpful so far, and this is day 8 since I contacted them. They got back to me twice during 8 days, with questions that would have been resolved in one minute, if somebody cared. Frustrated.
Roger Coathup

1 year ago

All windows blank -- no tools showing, no images, just empty window frames.

MacBook Pro Retina (mid 2014)
OSX 10.11
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB
mito

1 year ago

pixelmator is great, please fix the problem with iOS El Capitan
blacksmith_tb

1 year ago

Same for me, all docs appear blank, though I can see in the Layers palette thumbnail that the image is really there, and updates if I alter it. I'm on a Mac Pro 5,1 with an Nvidia Maxwell card (GTX 750 Ti) using their web driver, if that helps.
jbasso

1 year ago

El Capitan - My doc's appear with the layers mis-registered even though some were linked in the original file. Also as I zoom out the document the image becomes burry. The layer panel extends below the screen and I cannot scroll down far enough to see all the layers. Every click gives a beach ball and a long delay before any action occurs.
almico

1 year ago

Pixelmator does not open. I just get outlines of dialog boxes.

mitumit

1 year ago

Yes, I got the same screen like "alnico" when I attempt to start pixelmator on El Capitain!!
kelimek007

1 year ago

Hello best way how to proceed with Pixelmator is remove old installation with tool likeAppCleaner and reinstall from the app store. It works. :D
iburley7

1 year ago

I am having show-stopping issues with the app.

If I try to open an existing file, either through the app or through Finder, I get the message "The document (null)" could not be opened.

I can create a new document, and save it. If I try to export this new document to a different format (e.g. jpeg) I get the message "The file "<given file name>" couldn't be opened.".

If I save the new document, close the app, then try to open the document, I get the first error message again.

I have deleted the app (both by removing via Launchpad, and via AppCleaner as suggested above by another user, but after reinstalling from the App Store these same errors persist.
MrJoshua

1 year ago

I get the same issue as Amlico on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2011 running El Capitan.

The application is unusable as I only see the outlines of the application windows.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app (from the App Store), but it still does the same thing.
MrJoshua

1 year ago

Ahah, I just received a workaround for this from Motiejus at Pixelmator support (thanks!!)

1. Find Pixelmator in Finder's Applications folder.
2. Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and double-click Pixelmator icon to open it.
3. Go to View menu and choose Show Layers.
4. Quit Pixelmator (Pixelmator > Quit Pixelmator).
5. Try opening any of the files again.
Rotzbiber

1 year ago

Same problems, and the 3.4 update didn´t solve it.
Motiejus

1 year ago

@Rotzbiber, could you drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com including your Mac specs (Apple menu > About This Mac) and Pixelmator version (Pixelmator > About Pixelmator)?
Pixelmator Team
JohnMGD

1 year ago

Hi, Yesterday I bought and installed PIXELMATOR 3.4.2, so the newest version. Reading the text on your website and on the iTunes App store, I was convinced this is the program I needed, instead of the overweighted Photoshop. But what can I say, what a disappointment. After using, or better, trying to use the program, I had to stop. I was using Clone Stamp but the feature did not respond on my mouse clicks and when it responds it was very very slow, and followed my clicks only after some 5 seconds. Also the place I put my mouse for cloning was/is not exact, if I took an empty space, the clone stamp took it somewhere in the middle of the drawing. The worth part was when after some trying the program and with it my computer froze, so that I had to do a hard reset to get it going again. I just wrote you an E-mail on your Support address, hoping that this will be of any help. I am running the latest version of El Capitan, and in the meantime, waiting for something better I have uninstalled this piece of .........
So you see, the promise you make on your website is not true, that is, " not on my system !!"
Franco

1 year ago

I think it's now time to solve the problem. Affinity photo and Acorn works with El Capitan since day one, eather PXM team is not able yo solve the problem or there is something that cannot be fixed in PXM, in both case the team has to solve it. it's a long due solution.

Please sign in to post.