Automatically replacing missing fonts when opening a PSD

nicksloan

2 years ago

It should be regarded as a bug to automatically replace a font choice with another font (Lucida Grande) when opening a PSD that contains fonts that are not present. This sort of destructive operation SHOULD NEVER happen automatically. If this must be done, it is essential that Pixelmator notify the user of what WAS there, and what it was replaced with in every instance. To simply replace fonts with no warning is simply ridiculous behavior.
Motiejus

2 years ago

Hi nicksloan,

Thanks for your remark. We'll be doing our best to improve this for our future releases.
Pixelmator Team
Glutexo

2 years ago

I just want to say I agree with nicksloan. I encountered this Pixelmator’s behavior recently not even noticing that the font is different – it looked very similar to Lucida Grande. The problem emerged later resulting in the need of revising all layouts whether they still look how they should with the right font that has slightly different metrics.

I wouldn’t consider automatic replacement as very destructive, but it would be at least very nice to let the user know that this situation happened and provide the name of the replaced font. With this information the font can be obtained, installed and the file reimported correctly. Without it it might get unnoticed just as it happened to me.
bartocc

2 years ago

Facing the same problem, I needed to know what fonts were used in the PSD in order to install them on my mac and then open the PSD with pixelmator.

I found the psdlens command line tool that does that exactly : https://github.com/Yago/psdlens

Hope this helps
xander

1 year ago

The problem has not yet resolved in the latest release 3.4.4.

Please sign in to post.