Bug in "Affine tile" effect, seems to deform image?

ChrisB

3 years ago

Using "Affine tile" effect (0° angle, 100% scale and strech, 0% skew) on a 48x48 strip pattern png, and somehow it seems that pixelmator is not "just" copying and translating the pattern, it apply a bit of deformation on it also.
Seems to be a bug of the "Affine tile" effect.

To reproduce the bug:
- create a new document (100x100 pixels, 72 dpi)
- drag and drop a small, 45° strip motif.png to create a new layer (as this : http://s28.postimg.org/jicc66r3d/motif.png )
- duplicate the layer with the pattern
- use "Affine tile" effect (0° angle, 100% scale and strech, 0% skew) on the lower layer with the pattern
- compare the original pattern (up layer) with the result of the "Affine tile" effect

The bug was signaled in october, in version 3.0, but it is still here in version 3.1.
It there any date or version planned for correcting this bug by any chance?

Thanks a lot.
Motiejus

3 years ago

Thanks for pointing this out. We'll be working on a fix.
Pixelmator Team
ChrisB

3 years ago

Hello,

The bug is still here in version 3.2 (it was signaled 8 months ago).

Is the bug still on your radar?It there any date or version planned for correcting this bug by any chance?

Thanks a lot.
Ausra

3 years ago

Hey ChrisB,

Yes, this bug is still on our list, we don't have a date when it is going to be fixed, but we'll do our best to fix it!
Support Manager @Pixelmator Team
Slowboy

3 years ago

Hi guys, I've also noticed that Affine blurs the image too. Is it possible to make the effect sharper, like an actual one to one pixel translation? The blurring makes this tool not as useful as it could be for making tiling textures.
ChrisB

3 years ago

Hi again,

I hate to be the one who said that, but again, the bug is still here in version 3.2.1.
It was signaled 11 months ago now, that is almost a year ago.

Is the bug still on your radar?
It's cool to have new features, that's for sure. But that would be also cool to have featuresthatdo work as they should, I'm sure you agree with that.
Would there be a chance that this bug is corrected, like, in the next 12 months?

Thanks a lot.
Motiejus

3 years ago

Yeah, it definitely is. However, so far we cannot seem to be able to find a reasonable fix. We'll be doing our best though.
Pixelmator Team
ChrisB

3 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the fast answer and for the great support as always.

Good to know it's still on your radar and still worked on.
Hope you will find a good fix soon.

And yes, we know and appreciate that you're doing your best, be assured of that.
Pixelmator is wonderful, and pretty useful even without this minor feature.Just hope that it will be corrected one day or another (but I would rather prefer one day if possible :)).

Thanks again, keep doing wonderful work.
ChrisB

2 years ago

Hi,

Just to say that the bug is still here in 3.3.

And yes,I would like to be the first notified when the bug will be fixed :)

Keep on going…
ChrisB

2 years ago

Bug still here in 3.3.1.

Is it still on your radar?
Motiejus

2 years ago

Yup, it is. Unfortunately, we still cannot seem to find any reasonable fix for this.
Pixelmator Team
ChrisB

2 years ago

Bug still here in 3.3.2.
ChrisB

2 years ago

Bug still here in 3.3.3.
ChrisB

1 year ago

Bug still here in 3.4.
ChrisB

1 year ago

Bug still here in 3.4.1.

Is it still on your radar ?
Motiejus

1 year ago

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, since it is a default Apple's Quartz Composer effect, it's not much what we could do to fix it from our side. We've pointed this out to Apple.
Pixelmator Team
ChrisB

1 year ago

Hello,

Ah, ok, thanks for the info. I didn't know that it was using the "Affine Tile" Quartz Composer effect. Indeed, now it seems like I need to wait for Apple to correct this... if they find that it's a bug, of course.

There is just one thing that I don't understand: this bug has been signaled like almost 3 years ago. Was it passed up to Apple at the time, or just right now (and we lost 3 years) ?

For information, bug still here in 3.4.2 (but then it's normal if it's an Apple bug).

Thanks a lot.
Motiejus

1 year ago

@ChrisB, it was filled indeed a long time ago, however, ever since it was, it is still marked as "Open."
Pixelmator Team
ChrisB

1 year ago

Just for info, bug still here in 3.4.4.

Please sign in to post.