Painting and colour problems on Mavericks

Cloudane

3 years ago

To be honest I'm running a Hackintosh (legally purchased Pixelmator) so it may be something to do with that. My graphics card is an NVidia GTX 560Ti.

This is a clean install of Mavericks and Pixelmator, fully up to date, I have of course tried going into the library and trashing everything named "pixelmator" and starting afresh as well, but it's a clean install in any case.

If I try to paint anything, it just draws a checkerboard. For example the default "orangey" colour that it starts off with. I'll paint a little squiggle:

It looks ok (orange squiggle) while I'm painting it, but as soon as I let go of the mouse button it does that.

In what is probably a related issue, strange things happen when exporting an image. Let's hit up Google Images for.. sheep will do.

Looks fine when I load it:

Now see what happens when I go to the Share menu and "Export for Web"

.... oh dear!

How about if I export using the normal jpeg option...

As you can see, that goes wrong too, but in a different way.

Strange things also happen if I paint on top of an image. I painted a question mark below.

Any ideas? May be related to the fact I'm using a custom Mac, but all other graphical and video applications are working fine.
Sebastiaan

3 years ago

Yep... Most likely this is because you are not running OS X on a Mac. So unless no-one else owning a Mac has the same problem there is only one solution. ;-)
Cloudane

3 years ago

Yeah I do have a legit MacBook Air and it works fine there.

I like to have an upgradeable machine that also works well (and will stay working well for 5 years or so) with the latest games on the Windows side as well (yuk, I know, but games!) and don't really have the ~£2000-3000 to put down on a Mac Pro so hopefully there is more than one solution. I may have to ask around some OSX86 sites to find it though :)

Thought it worth trying here in case it's encountered on similar Mac Pro setups or if the devs had any theories from knowing how it all works.
jasonpeinko

3 years ago

Just thought i'd chime in.

I have the exact same problem and the same graphics card as you. Likely something broke in the drivers in Mavericks or something stopped working in the new pixelmator engine. Previous versions worked for me on 10.8.
Cloudane

3 years ago

Ah, so there are 2 of us in the world :) Yours is a Hac as well I assume? (I think only certain cards work in official Pros)

Just hoping if/when NVidia release web drivers for Mavericks it'll help.
tyns

3 years ago

I have a GTX 570 HD. Same issue. Pixelmator is the only app that does this. All my adobe apps work fine. To be honest, I used to use pixelmator on my iMac with the ATI 2600 and had no issue. Ever since moving to a Nvidia card, pixelmator has never seemed to work right... Always some issue that was blamed on bad drivers. Pity, as I would like to continue to use it in production.. It was handy for creating some fresh looking effects at times.
Motiejus

3 years ago

Pixelmator is optimized for the graphics cards that comes along with the Mac's by default. I'm not saying that Pixelmator won't work with other graphics cards that you've put inside your Mac, however, on some occasions, graphics card drivers incompatibility might cause glitches like these to occur.
Pixelmator Team
Ken Botwinick

3 years ago

Hi All,

I was about to create a new post about weirdness I was having exporting PNGs with transparency. In the interest of full disclosure I was going to mention that I had a Hackintosh. Then I saw this thread...

I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti-448 and never had any troubles previously either. Hopefully newer drivers will fix the issue.

Luckily in my case I found that I could use Apple's Preview app to create and save the transparencies with no problem...

Thanks to the Pixelmator developers for creating such a great product. And sorry hackintosh people like us bother you with unsupported problems...

Cheers.
Cloudane

3 years ago

I completely understand not wanting to even think about supporting unofficial machines. Things not working is a risk we automatically take.

Though if people are having this issue on Apple-supported graphics cards placed into real Mac Pros(?) then IMO it warrants attention as Pixelmator is the only app that exhibits any kind of problem.
FunkTrooper

3 years ago

Just wanted to chime in to say I'm having this exact same problem too. My system's got aGeForce GTX 580.

This problem didn't exist on Mountain Lion, and everything else in Mavericks *seems* to work flawlessly. I haven't encountered any other issues with the OS, anyway.
intenseBiscuits

3 years ago

Another user chiming in with the same problem, though in my case, it's on the GTX 460 cards.

Pixelmator works fine on my Air, iMac, and Mac Minis.
Joonikko

3 years ago

Hello

I have the same issue as others in this thread and I'm running a GTX 470.

OS X 10.9 (13A603)
Pixelmator 3.0 FX (31016)

Everything else works fine (FCP X, iWork applications, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Apple Aperture, etc.) and Pixelmator used to work fine in OS X 10.8.5.

Video screencapture of the issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_6hhc1jikg

Thanks and I understand if you ignore this since it's running on unsupported hardware, but the issue seems to be limited to Pixelmator only.
ziritrion

3 years ago

Another Hackintosh user with the same problem. Pixelmator runs fine on my Macbook Air but not in my desktop. I'm using a GigabyteZ68X-UD4-B3 board and my graphics card is a GTX580.

I realize that this bug is unlikely to be fixed unless it starts popping up on official Macs but I love this app and my life would be much easier if it could work on my desktop.
FunkTrooper

3 years ago

A user on the tonymacx86 forum has reported having this problem with a real Mac Pro and a GTX 560ti.

Here's the thread:http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/114593-pixelmator-3-problem-nvidia-mavericks-2.html

So this seems to be an issue with certain nVidia cards, and not a Hackintosh-specific issue.
Motiejus

3 years ago

Yeah, however, this seems to be happening only with a custom graphics cards that doesn't come along with default Mac's builds. Could be graphics card drivers related issue after all.
Pixelmator Team
SirKaese

3 years ago

Same problem here on real Mac.
Related on custom Nvidia graphics cards with Apple driver.
On Lion/Mountain Lion with Nvidia webdriver there is no gfx problem at all.
Waiting for Nvidia to release webdriver for 10.9.1 !

Specs:
MacPro5,1 (Mid 2010) with Apple GT120 512MB + PC EVGA GTX580 3072MB, Mavericks 10.9.1
Ken Botwinick

3 years ago

Wow. No love for this bug in 3.1. Hopefully 10.9.2 will fix the issue for us.
yac1066

3 years ago

iMac end 2009 2.66GHz intel Core I5 8Go 1067 Mhz DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 Mo OSX 10.9.1 (13842)
If pen used with big size, it's no possible to find a small cursor on the menus to select everything... idem with mouse or with the Wacom Stylus ! Pixelmator after is freezing, thas is not cool.

Yves
Motiejus

3 years ago

Hi Yves,

Does this happen with all images you're editing, or just a large ones (above 3000-4000 pixels)?
Pixelmator Team
tyns

3 years ago

10.9.2 and still the same problem. There have been Nvidia Driver updates which leads me to believe the problem lies somewhere in the development frameworks of 10.9.2. Had no problem with 10.8 as others reported. Pixelmator is the only app I have that is screwy with after market GPU's. It is a pity because I bought the software a few months before before 10.9 came out and haven't been able to really use it all that much.
cekuhnen

3 years ago

MacPro 2008 GTX 570 10.9.2 + NVIDIA web driver.

Now with 10.9.2 the GTX 570 isn't even supported anymore.
I only have a black screen.

oddly my Wacom cintiq works on the GTX 570 but Pixelmator still has the graphic glitch
with osx and nvidia drivers.
healewis

3 years ago

Hi I have recently purchased an iMac 27inch, 3.4 GHz intel Core i7 processor. 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3. NVIDIA GeForce GTX680MX 2048 MB, running on OS X 10.9.2 (13C64) (Mavericks)

The version of Pixelmator I am running is 3.1 Marble (40107) , which I had to purchase as I was unable to migrate the app from my olderiMac

My problem is that nothing is working other than the Paint bucket, gradient tool and the eraser. I notice there are several issues and I see no solutions offered! Is there a conflicting issue with the app and the new Mac Mavericks software?

Cheers
Ausra

3 years ago

Hi healewis,

Can you email us the details at bugs@pixelmator.com? We'll see how we can help you.

Thanks!
Support Manager @Pixelmator Team
mrloops

3 years ago

Just wanted to say that this is affecting my computer as well. Everything works fine on my mac laptop, but my desktop with a GTX 560 shows these weird artifacts. This is the only software I've seen that exhibits this kind of glitch.
cekuhnen

3 years ago

Pixelmator should still update this problem even when this is a bug in the OS X driver for NVIDIA cards
Ken Botwinick

3 years ago

WOW! 3.2 STILL DOESN'T FIX THIS. That's amazing.
cekuhnen

3 years ago

In a different thread the developers stated this is a bug with Apple who has to fix it
and that Pixelmator cannot do anything with it.

I am not a coder so I cannot judge that. The end-result nevertheless is that the software
is unusable under OS X 10.9 and NVIDIA cards unlike what Apple ships them with.

Photo-line becomes more attractive with the minute.
Joonikko

3 years ago

Enabling 16-bit color depth fixes the colour issue for the brush tool, but shapes still suffer from it.

Nvidia GTX 470 with the default OS X graphics drivers and Nvidia Web driver 334.01.01f01

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
Pixelmator 3.2 (40509)
tyns

3 years ago

Really sad. Do the developers have any reason why this program still doesn't work for any after market graphics card?

I bought this software several months ago and still have not been able to use it on my main design work machine. It is some weird memory addressing issue in the VRAM it looks like.
Ken Botwinick

3 years ago

Wow. Really? Are you kidding? The release notes of 3.2.1 gave me hope this was finally addressed. Nope. Soul crushing.
cekuhnen

3 years ago

Photoline ...
Motiejus

3 years ago

We're still looking into this, however, since it's third party graphics cards we're dealing with, it's not much what we could promise. The drivers that these graphics card uses are still coming from the third party developers, therefore, they don't fully support, nor have the ability to access all OS X features/resources that Pixelmator uses for the image rendering.
Pixelmator Team
FunkTrooper

2 years ago

I've upgraded my system to the final/stable version of Yosemite and sadly the problem persists.

I even tried the nVidia web drivers (here: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 8853/en-us) in the hope that they might be different. But there's no difference in Pixelmator. :'(

I wonder what unique things Pixelmator's doing that no other applications does.... Because everything else on this system works perfectly.
jimiz

2 years ago

MAC real with nvidia video card
SAME PROBLEM... pixelmator3.3 INUTILIZABLE!!!!

GFX bugs like the firs topic... no antoher software have same problems, only this one.

so pixelmator (incredible) NOT SUPPORT NVIDIA CARDS....
really bad.
cekuhnen

2 years ago

Actually it rely send to be apples driver. Preview is bugged now as well. I guess we few who have custom cards are or of luck.
snowcoke

2 years ago

Having seen the Best New Apps list on App Store, I downloaded the app and ,after two hours of googling, ended up here.
Using a "twinMac," ironically not the evil one, I naturally remain sensitive to and curious about abnormalities of any sort.
On that note, I took a closer look at the syndrome and found out that the following trick should take the pain temporarily away:

Go to Menubar> Image> Color Depth...> (change the default 8-bits option to) 16-bits per channel.

*see also:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10485
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/ ... gtx-560ti/
cekuhnen

2 years ago

thats works as a workaround but do you want everything to be created in 16bit?
tyns

1 year ago

Things appear to be working in the latest version of Pixelmator with after market Nvidia Card again! I am now running El Capitan. I am going to play around more and see if everything else is working.

Not sure is Apple is to thank for this, or the pixelmator team.

Please sign in to post.