Hide all Palettes

temhawk

5 years ago

I'm not sure if this is intended or if my tab button is broken, but I can't toggle the visibility of the floating palettes anymore in v2.
PierreLouis

5 years ago

Could you please bring back the feature that let you hide all the UI by pressing [TAB] (to only see your picture).
That was really useful, since it let you concentrate on your picture, and forget the rest. When I'm using fullscreen mode, I keep pressing the TAB key, and thinking "Oh yeah it's not here anymore...".
Then I have go through the shortcuts to hide the palette, the brushes, the layers, etc.

Thanks for considering this!

And maybe it's still there, just me being stupid, can you guys tell me? :)
temhawk

5 years ago

Uhm, please fix it? Annoying as hell.
darius

5 years ago

TAB key is utilized by the Operating System to rotate through the text input fields and dialog boxes. It doesn't work well for the application specific functions.
To hide all floating palettes hold down Option(alt) key and click on any palette's close button.
Dayday95

5 years ago

In all of the versions before Pixelmator 2.0, one of my favorite function of Pixelmator was the ability to make the palettes on screen disappear in just one keystroke. Tab and then everything is gone, clears out the entire screen form me to work with. But in Pixelmator 2.0, the function is no longer there (or at least I just haven't discover the new shortcut ye). And I would have to go to remember the individual shortcuts to make each palette disappear one by one which is annoying and takes much longer. Also the ability to invert selection in just one short cut (shift-command-I) is also gone in Pixelmator 2.0, these two were my favorite and it really sped up my workflow. So far I see no other functions that uses the same shortcut, would it be possible if those two can be brought back to Pixelmator in the next update?
Sebastiaan

5 years ago

That's all well and nice darius but what the user want after this is using a method for getting the same palettes back. The request is for a keyboard combination that does not interfere with the TAB key but uses another combination like option+X for example. Press option+X once to hide the palettes press option+X again to make the same palettes visible again. In stead of just removing the TAB-function one could just change the keyboard shortcut. Would have been an easier and less invasive change for the customer.
SaT

5 years ago

+1

Especially when working on a small 13" display, this is an extremely useful function. Please bring it back.
Pixelmator 3.1
Chamyky

5 years ago

Hello,

I was an abusive user of the tab key in Pixelmator 1, aggressively showing and hiding palettes all the time. Now it seems that this particular feature is gone—I was hoping this was a little bug to be squashed in 2.0.1, but apparently it's not.
So, did I miss something? Or is this (nigh-essential for some) feature indeed missing?

Thank you in advance!
dgmid

5 years ago

Definitely +1 for a shortcut to hide / reveal the palettes. This causes endless problems on a 13" screen. Sometimes on saving the save pane slides down and the buttons are behind one of the palettes (OK - I know there are system shortcuts for those buttons, but it's still very annoying.
joelseneque

5 years ago

+1

I would think this would be easy to implement for a different key
webberfalcon

5 years ago

I too am greatly missing this FEATURE. Any chance you could just rewire it to the tilde [~] key? That would be almost as good. :D

5 years ago

+1. tab to select next field is only relevant when editing a field. photoshop's behavior is what's expected here.
Snark

5 years ago

+1
matthewjschultz

5 years ago

+1 - This features is important enough to me that I've stopped using Pixelmator (and I'm back to Photoshop) until it returns. Yes, it's THAT IMPORTANT (to me, and others with one small laptop screen).
bullrat

5 years ago

Just purchased Pixelmator -- but was blinded by the low price (kudos for that!) and I didn't notice that the palettes aren't dockable. Oy! I really hate floating palettes. Please consider dockable tools or at least bring back the one-key-hide-all function that Tab apparently used to have. Thanks and looking forward to using Pixelmator.
Dr. Tobias Funke

5 years ago

+1

Also used this feature compulsively.

As a temporary / partial workaround:
1) open another application that you aren't really using at the same time (e.g. Safari, etc...). Close all windows, but don't Quit the app.
2) Use command-tab to switch from Pixelmator to the other app. Presto, no palettes!
3) Command-tab to go back to work in Pixelmator.

It's not the same level of functionality (i.e., you can't work on the image while switched to another app), but at least you can quickly glance at image.
Snark

4 years ago

Or at least a menu item? We can slab our own shortcut on it, no problem.

Why isn't this back yet?
mangymutt

4 years ago

I'm with Matthew on this....back to Photoshop. I used tab so often that I cannot continue to use this wonderful app without it. Have only just upgraded and frankly, had I known it was missing, I would not have. Hope you're listening Pixelmator. Can't be that hard to give us another key to replace this.
Ausra

4 years ago

Hey there,

We hear you, and we'll see with what we can come up with for future releases.
Support Manager @Pixelmator Team
mangymutt

4 years ago

Thanks Ausra. And thanks for the brilliant software.
Skellington

4 years ago

As in PS, eg. by hitting TAB. Would be very useful.
im_dave

4 years ago

Here's a workaround I'm using.
I've got Spark installed: http://www.shadowlab.org/Software/spark
And added the following AppleScript and assigned it to [command] + [*] ( on the numeric keypad, but hey, your choice :D )

tell application "Pixelmator" to activate
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "1" using command down
keystroke "2" using command down
keystroke "4" using command down
end tell

Feel free to change the numbers to whichever pallets you default to.
This also creates an option for a second Spark action to toggle alternate pallets to show/hide.
If you need to include multiple modifier keys: keystroke "x"using{command down, option down, control down}
Aenima

4 years ago

Asura wrote on the support forum:

" 9 months ago
Hey there,

We hear you, and we'll see with what we can come up with for future releases.
Support Manager @Pixelmator Team"

Maybe time to change your support manager or change your mind about how the support your customers.
From version 1.6 you start to kill the interface...
The price is right but the support is get poorer with the growing number of sales.
WhippinPixels

3 years ago

I have to add my "me too" to this request. Toggling tool palettes with 1 key is essential.

I will still use Pixelmator, but would hope that the power of the computer can be utilitized to make things easier for the user with 1-button palette toggle as opposed to individually closing each palette...then individually making it re-appear when needed.

Thank you for listening!
2012 MacBook Pro, Non-retina, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD
adamwilt

3 years ago

+1 on a "Hide All Palettes" key.

TAB used to work back in 1.6.7. It still works in Photoshop, Acorn,... and Pixelmator 1.6.7. Clearly it doesn't interfere with the OS's use too much.

The workaround of option-clicking to close all palettes is fine... until you need to open them all again. You can't option-unclick!

Folks shouldn't have to create AppleScripts to push keystrokes onto the Pixelmator input queue (because Pixelmator itself isn't scriptable) to toggle the visibility of whatever palettes they normally have up; when people are going that far, it's a sign that something's wrong.

This thread is two years old, asking for a simple function that Pixelmator used to have, that other image-editing apps have as a standard shortcut, that we use *all the time*, that Pixelmator folks respond to with "we hear you", but no sign of a fix coming... for two years and counting. Why?

I'm not about to drop Pixelmator: it's too darned fast and works too darned well. It's not only in my Dock, it's set to run at startup, so it's always ready: I use it daily for photo editing, for UI mockups, for graphic development for web and iOS apps, for flowcharts, for all manner of visual communications. But it really, really bothers me that this simple and essential function has been dropped and never restored.
russianryebread

3 years ago

+1

This is a very useful *core* feature that I miss sorely from Photoshop.

Otherwise, thanks for the great software, Pixelmator Team.
cdbeshore

3 years ago

I agree. This is a much needed feature. I use Keyboard Maestro and was able to create a keyboard shortcut that toggles my most used palettes. It doesn't work perfect, but get's the job done. Keyboard Maestro is awesome.
DinkDonk

3 years ago

+1
johnkershaw

3 years ago

Show > Hide > Show > Hide

It's fundamental to IMAGE editing to want to see your IMAGE. Without palettes all over it.

But then to bring the palettes BACK so you can WORK.

Sorry to shout, but I'm staggered that an IMAGE editing app could lack this fundamental feature.

Two years on and two updates and still no TAB nor a menu item (so we can set the keystroke ourselves).

EXPOSE THE FUNCTIONALITY. GRRRR.

"Yeah, but in two years we've only had 25 comments."

Multiply that by ten to eliminate all the readers who Googled, found this page, read two years' worth of "Not happening" commentsbut didn't bother to register so they could post a comment, and you might get somewhere close to the actual number of unhappy users.

Summary of those two years' comments: "No-one's happy, devs are unresponsive and have done nothing for two years, but if you simply install this app and writethis Applescript you can get it to work THE SAME WAY PHOTOSHOP'S WORKED FOR TWENTY+ YEARS".

Or, as several people have said, go back to Photoshop.

This silliness plus icons-the-size-of-rice-grains-on-a-black-background that you don't let the user change REALLY makes me think you value form over function. And over your userbase.

But as long as the cash keeps rolling in, right?
jack19087

3 years ago

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
Super annoying to have the 'hide all palletes' feature removed. Even more annoying to have done nothing about such a critical feature for the power uses in two years. C'mon guys. It's simple. It's needed. It's time...
nicholas

2 years ago

+1
fmatos

2 years ago

+1
Simple feature, but very important in an image editing software! I have to keep moving my palettes away, it's very frustrating and not at all user friendly!
tillinghast

2 years ago

+1

I just registered solely for the purpose of adding to the chorus here. I love Pixelmator, and I'm sad when I run into areas where Photoshop is more usable.
ciderndonuts

2 years ago

I'm in for this feature.
agoago

2 years ago

I need this
macmello

2 years ago

Please, hide all palletes.

Thank you!
wfstudios

2 years ago

Why is it not a basic feature?!

Pls add this!
>_<
flotob

2 years ago

came here from google search for "pixelmator preview hide all palettes" and found this. this is amazing. how come this is not implemented yet? i'm using pixelmator since 10 minutes and every PS shortcut i've tried worked flawlessy. I was essentially dancing a happy dance. But then TAB is not working? guys plzzzzz

kthxbye
sixlaps

1 year ago

+1
Wirzi

1 year ago

This is a TWO MINUTES BUG! PLEASE INCLUDE IT IN A UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Gipetto

10 months ago

Seriously... why is this even a question? Hiding all palettes is a must.

Please sign in to post.