Channels feature as you can see in Photoshop is needed.

ppeanuts

3 years ago

Pixelmator's very useful tool for me, and this is the primary graphics editing tool I use.

However, I still miss Photoshop just because of CHANNELS feature since this was I used most of the time.
I saw new feature like Paint Selection feature in upcoming version of Pixelmator, but channel was the most useful tool for me for precise selection, so please add channels feature for R, G, B and additional alpha channels!!

If it won't come very soon, I may go back to Photoshop since they announced subscription plan. It can be expensive than Pixelmator, but it's still cheaper than buying the package and I can use it just when I want to use it, and I've been waiting for the channels feature from Pixelmator so long, now my patience is running out.

Thanks for the good tool, but it still lacks key features that Photoshop users are really expecting that can slow your work down seriously.
Michael Redig

3 years ago

Would like channels here, too.
Pegasus

3 years ago

Don't know if this is what your looking for but this image unit package includes a Channel Mixer.

http://belightcommunity.free.fr
Coen

3 years ago

You can use layers and/or layer masks as alpha channels. It's a bit odd, but it works just fine once you get the hang of it. But color channels and alpha channel would be way more practical I agree.
Don't panic
JohnyZuper

3 years ago

I don't need the RGB channels myself. But an Alpha channel is essential for my work.
nematode

3 years ago

Access to individual RGB ( CMYK) channels would be a great feature addition. This and 16 bit Tiffsupport would bring over many photoshop users who are not happy about the new Adobe CC system.
JTown

3 years ago

Wanted to add my support for this feature request. I've been messing with the Pixelmator trial and so far it seems to be a great alternative. I'd love to switch to Pixelmator from Photoshop, but I can't until I can save an image with an alpha channel (png or preferably psd). Video games often use the alpha channel for things like specular/emission shaders (uses RGB to paint the surface texture and the alpha channel to determine how shiny or luminous that part of the texture is). Even when I want to create a simple texture with transparency, having control of the alpha channel ensures I won't have bleed issues where the game engine's compression creates a faint border around the transparency. That's explained a bit here: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/M ... amaps.html

Until Pixelmator is compatible with my gamedev workflow, I'll have to continue paying for Photoshop :(
JTown

3 years ago

Any movement on this feature? Adobe subscription is about to renew...
donmontalvo

2 years ago

clockwork

2 years ago

Old thread, but still a frustration.

Effects > Channels, donmontalvo, is not quite what people are asking for. What a lot of graphic professionals require is direct access to an "Alpha" channel, which is a channel not affecting the color image. Many professionals - such as game developers or people working extensively in film / TV / 3D Graphics, will use the Alpha channel from an image as a transparency layer, which is not related to the image transparency contained within the regular layers. This channel will be used to create bump maps, specular maps, transparency effects in different shaders in a 3D program or game engine.

It's been a real bummer that the Pixelmatr team doesn't impliment this as they are excluding (in my view) a great number of potential customers. Indie game development is huge these days, and these are all people who would be interested in an alternative to the bloated and overpriced Photoshop.
Talabardio

2 years ago

Another bump for channels/alpha channel as a desired feature. Of course, CMYK is the mandatory Holy Grail for those of us who make a living with design for publication.

I have now noticed that my Adobe CS 6 applications aren't working quite right on Yosemite, sigh. I can and am switching back to QuarkXpress in March, but like so many graphics industry workers who are disgusted by software rental, I still need a Photoshop replacement.

I'd love to read an honest response from the Pixelmator team to the questions: What ARE your plans for Pixelmator? Are you planning on developing this lovely but limited product to also meet the needs of the advanced and professional user? It seems to me that perhaps you see more potential growth in developing Pixelmator as relatively feature-rich for the more casual user, and staying away from resource-intensive development needed for areas such as CMYK support and so forth.
DomDom

1 year ago

Please add the ability to view a specific color channel only and to paint / modify only a specific channel - including alpha channel.( R/G/B/A)
Crimson Hikari

7 months ago

+1 for channels feature!

I'd LOVE the alpha channel feature for creating proper transparent overlays from some of my photos without swapping apps.
UncleBuck

6 months ago

Another +1 for the channels feature.

These threads seem quite old..... Is anybody paying attention to what is being requested??????

Please sign in to post.