Auto-Center/Alignment Horizontal/Alignment Vertical

FilipePostiga

5 years ago

Hello everyone, sorry for making a new post about this but I think it's good to remind Pixelmator engineers about this simple feature.
I like Pixelmator a lot but for a paid program one simple thing is missing. Centering stuff is a little painful as we have to lose a lot of time and as everyone knows, time is money, so I think an auto-center feature would be very welcome. A simple comparison is Seashore an free editor but with a lot less to offer, and of course Adobe Photoshop CS5/6. Thanks for the attention.
cpKnight

5 years ago

The lack of alignment tools in Pixelmator can be very frustrating and limits is versatility which is unfortunate. Align to horizontal center, to vertical center, and both horizontal and vertical centers simultaneously are the three tools that would be, in my opinion, the minimum for an alinement toolset. Aligning to top or bottom edges as well as right and left edges is a requirement for me to move beyond demo version to paid version. I need to align to a baseline far to often to not be able to do it easily. So, in summary, I agree with the OP that these tools are sorely missing from Pixelmator.
PIXELS

5 years ago

I agree with the previous posts. Pixelmator would make a great alternative as a photo editing softwareif it can have this feature. It is very important to be able to centre stuff so I hope the Pixelmator consider that.
PIXELS

5 years ago

Centreing stuff is a must, let's hope the Pixelmator team fix this as soon as possible.
stevemb

5 years ago

must-have feature!
ipod_david

5 years ago

+1 PLEASE!!!!

very important feature for me also!
PsykX

5 years ago

+1. And this isn't too complicated to implement, if we compare it to say, Layer Styles.
kiwe

4 years ago

I miss alignment tools too! I use it a lot in my work. I often have to use Inkscape (www.inkscape.org) to be able to align objects properly. They have a great set of alignment options to use.
Natetronn

4 years ago

Alignment tools would be great!

Fireworks has the best alignment tool set if you want something to look at.
stevemb

4 years ago

nothing new on the horizon?
AWSMdesign

4 years ago

Auto-Alignment tools would be great to have!
mithun_daa

4 years ago

@Coen - what do you mean by invert in the following sentence?
"Now duplicate this layer, invert it and nudge it 1 pixel to the left and 1 pixel down."
Do you mean rotate the image? Can you please elaborate on "inverting" for this noob?

Thanks.
pietrociao

3 years ago

Please!!
voorhies

3 years ago

+1
GCent

3 years ago

This would be a great feature to have!
BenjaminRH

3 years ago

I just bought this today, and was immediately stymied by the fact that there are no alignment tools. A lot of the other stuff won't do me any good if I can't align anything properly. I won't be able to use this for any of my mockups like I had hoped, which is why I purchased it in the first place. It is pretty essential to be able to align things vertically, horizontally, and to the sides, as well as in relation to each other, bounding box, etc. Could somebody please inform us if this will be added in the near future? Thanks.
Joonikko

3 years ago

@BenjaminRH
There might not be automatic alignment tools yet, but you can enable alignment guides in the settings to show guides at object center & at object edges.

Also when you have the select tool enabled, you can right click and enable "Show Outline" to show the layer or shape outline.

I hope that helps.
jwburkhard

3 years ago

Does Pixelmator have an auto-alignment or distributing function? No I don't want a tip about guides and rulers, that is not even close to what auto-align and distribute would do. How are you supposed to make pixel perfect comps of hundreds of layers? How is this not a core feature in 2014?
petervangalen

2 years ago

It is very strange that this feature is still missing. It's one my most used features in other programs and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Align left, right, center, top, bottom and Distribute objects is a must.
tylerharter

2 years ago

Just bought Pixelmator today, but I probably wouldn't have if I knew it lacked such a fundamental feature!
jsss

2 years ago

Is it being developed? That's the only thing keeping me from ordering Pixelmator. That's a simple feature like the one in Paint.net:

http://paint.net.amihotornot.com.au/fea ... gn_Object/
skillet

1 year ago

I wish this was here, so crazy to not have. I use this all the time in Fireworks and a basic thing to have for aligning layers. I even use it in the audio application MainStage. They thought it important enough to add in version two, hopefully Pixelmator will add this because I too would rather not have to pay for photoshop.
Gertzen

1 year ago

Great product overall. I just spent a day converting a restaurant menu from an Illustrator file to Pixelmator and it mostly went well without a hitch. The sole thing that I kept wishing for however was the alignment & distribute features that pretty much every other graphical editing app has. I discovered the alignment guide feature early on, but it just can't accomplish what a basic alignment / distribute menu can. Looking over the history of this issue (i.e. it's been open for 4 years!), I can only conclude that the developers or product manager for Pixelmator must not want to implement such a feature or doesn't understand how incredibly useful it would be. I've personally written such an alignment / distribute tool for a product I worked on about 5 years ago and it really isn't that hard to implement, especially compared tot he whizbang stuff that Pixelmator already does. Can someone from Pixelmator either give a good explanation for why this feature won't be implemented or let us know when it will be implemented? Thanks!
TopCat

1 year ago

+1.

No idea if easy / hard to implement. It's about workflow - keeping the suer in mind.

Any software project that deprecates "new features" for "refined features" for workflow / efficiencies is always a special kind of release that the user base always really enjoys. It saves users from the "death by a thousand cuts". It also give the developers an opportunity to address those niggling issues that has 'bugged' them for years.It was a big factor behind the transition from Netscape to FireFox. Apple did it with OSX releases. Adobe did it for some of their early CS releases.

Align tool is one of these types of requests - it's a huge timesaver for the design process.

Please sign in to post.