Single Window mode (like GIMP 2.8)

memmaker650

5 years ago

Pixelmator is a great app and v2.0 it's a great advance.
In the future i think a single window mode will be great. Have a window for the image, another for the tools ans other/s for different panels it's really confusing if you work with 2 monitor. Sometimes the image loads in one monitor and the pixelmator panels in the other monitor.
Nowadays UI its good if you work with many images at the same time because you can organize your workflow like you want. But i'm a non profesional user who uses pixelmator for little changes or mod of 1 or two images at the same time. A single window mode will be great to put all the things organized and clear for all the users.

Example (GIMP 2.8)
FilipePostiga

5 years ago

I agree with the user above. One window is way better to work same thing happen to me with the two monitors.
I know that's an example but I prefer the dark theme it doesn't hurt the eyes but who knows if in thefuturethey include the options for themes. And just a last line to warn once again that we want (because I see on the forum that more than one person want) an auto-center feature like photoshop have, even seashore have and it's free.
Please Pixelmator Team, I would pay more 2 euros only for that feature.
PsykX

5 years ago

I completely agree !

- Single window app
- Color scheme that makes sense
- Layer Styles

… and Pixelmator is going to have like 1 million more downloads in a weekend, very easily.
ivan.alvarado

5 years ago

Also I am in total agreement with respect to each matter discussed in the previous post.Pixelmator team please consider these suggestions.

"… and Pixelmator is going to have like 1 million more downloads in a weekend, very easily. "

I think the same thing
16syedzq1

4 years ago

Hope so. +1! Imagine the screen real estate saved!
Zaid Syed - zaidsyed@me.com
PsykX

4 years ago

+1 +1 +1

At the risk of repeating myself… The next three winning keys of Pixelmator will be all about :

1. Implementing Layer styles
2. Being able to choose the color of the GUI in the Preferences, OR make the interface lighter
3. Switching to a single-window app
memmaker650

4 years ago

Nothing new about this great improvement that Pixelmator team should implement on next 2.x version ???
tylerwayne

4 years ago

On any platform other than the Mac, I'd agree with this.

I was absolutely giddy when GIMP added single-window mode, because I use GIMP on Windows and Linux. On those platforms, users typically switch between windows using Alt+Tab, which shows a small thumbnail or app icon for each window.

But on the Mac, methods of switching are much more visual, and OS X uses an inherently DOCUMENT-CENTRIC windowing system. If you have two documents open, you have two windows open (with most applications, anyway). This document-centric model is consistent with Apple's own apps, and so I vote we keep it the way it is.
memmaker650

4 years ago

For you the nowadays way of work could be good but other people could think in a different way. For me have separate windows with the tools, other with the image and other with other things could be very disgusting cause you need to position all the windows according to the image dimensions to work properly.

I can't delete nowadays separates windows mode, I only think a single windows option with all the panels attached could be a very good solution for many people.
Minatory

4 years ago

+1 - Want single window mode!!!
bezma

4 years ago

I agree, single window mode is top priority and as mentioned above being able to choose the color of the GUI in the Preferences.
If these two will be included in near future I would be much happier user of Pixelmator :)
I just started using it as a second photo editor besides Aperture and I love it.
marekmotyka

4 years ago

Please add single window mode
Coen

4 years ago

Come on guys, just press CTRL-CMD-F. It's been there for ages.
Don't panic
chokehold

4 years ago

Nope, that's not the same, that's just Full Screen Mode.
All the little tool windows still float around, get in the way and get moved by accident just too often.

I can't count how often I've wanted to adjust the layer visibility slider, but instead moved the whole toolbox ... just because I missed the "grab area" of the slider by 1 px.

A big PLUS about single-window mode would be, that the boundaries of the working area don't hide behind the toolboxes and toolbars.

Happens oh so often: press ALT and scroll up to zoom into the image, and *bam* your workflow's screwed up because the working area window resizes itself to such extent that certain areas of the window frame (color picker, zoom, etc) can't be see seen or changed anymore.

Means you have to snap out of your work, resize the working area window, and then snap back into your work.
Not very comfortable.

With single-window mode, where all the toolbars and toolboxes are integrated into the surrounding window, the working area window doesn't resize, just the image inside it. So no window-resizing and interrupted work.

Big +1 for single-window mode from me.
Definitely necessary.
DSZHSW84

4 years ago

I would love to see a single window mode. It's moreconvenient, especially on smaller screens. On my MBP 13 inch photos often get overlapped by the palettes. Which can be annoying.

You don't have to radically change the UI. Just give us two options: to run Pixelmator in single window mode or in conventional mode. Then you can use what you prefer.
Tak

4 years ago

+1

and application frame/background would be nice so I can't see OSX wallpaper behind my images.
Coen

4 years ago

I asked this before, but what's wrong with Full Screen mode? That's already built in and it basically does the same, but without ugliness that comes with a single window interface. I would be -so- disappointed if Pixelmator would be turned into something that looks like GIMP or Photoshop.
Don't panic
gamrcobe

4 years ago

Coen,

I know for myself I run dual monitors and so Full Screen is actually worse because it renders my 2nd screen useless for having a resources folder or browser window open.

I would love to see a way to switch from separate panels and single window. Also to integrate tool paletes into the canvas somehow where they would be tucked in discreetly until i wanted to click and reveal them, leaving the canvas free of any windows.
DaveW

4 years ago

I would really, really, really love to have single window mode. One of my primary uses for Pixelmator is to create graphics for Android applications, which require several sizes of each bitmap for the different screen densities. You can't always simply resize a larger image because things get blurry, and for 9 patch images it ruins the 9 patch guides. So I end up with many documents open at the same time, and it gets really hard to arrange all the windows, resizing them, moving various panels out of the way. A single window with tabbed documents would be a tremendous help.

Coen, another reason why fullscreen is not an option is because each individual document needs to be changed to full screen, and there's no easy way to switch between them. And you have to wait for that sliding animation to finish before you can work on your document. If fullscreen made *all* documents fullscreen and I could still use cmd-` to switch between documents, that would be acceptable for me since I'm working on a single monitor, but there's still the issue of panels overlapping the documents I'm working on and if I ever get a second monitor it'll make fullscreen mode a lot less attractive.
illusionmist

4 years ago

Registered just to file this. +1 for single window mode.
C'mon, you don't even have to make it default. Just give us users a CHOICE.
hulleyrob

4 years ago

I also would like to see this reorganising the palettes everytime i use a differant size image is a pain even on a 27" iMac.
Octothorpe

4 years ago

Like others, I registered just to request this feature. Single Window mode is so much easier for me to manage when working with images of varying sizes.
NomadikB

4 years ago

This is the #1 feature I would like to see!
I always have several images open at all time in different windows and the whole thing is a mess of windows being hard to access. Having the option to have the windows tabbed or not would make everybody very happy!

Keep up the good work, Pixelmator is fantastic!
odisant

3 years ago

+1
DeeBee

3 years ago

+1 on the single window-app request
PsykX

3 years ago

+1, this is one of my top 3 features that I want coming up next.
ferlevin

3 years ago

+1 also from me, even if full screen mode is a kind of workaround.
[ username ]

3 years ago

+1! I have nowhere to put all those small windows (clutter), and it makes it nearly imposible to edit parts of an image when you zoom in without having to move all those windows from one side to the other. This always makes me really sad! :(
pixmad

3 years ago

I'm still evaluating this (started yesterday!), and came here to look for an answer to a problem I'm having but I'll leave that for a proper thread. While I'm around, +1 for single window mode! I almost wasn't starting to evaluate Pixelmator when I saw it was using an MDI like interface - I hate having to adjust windows over windows...
Jagst3r15

3 years ago

Hi, Can you please make a single window mode option like in the new GIMP?
rmasoni

3 years ago

Pixelmator really needs this feature. The current interface is terrible because it gets in the way, is distracting, hard to setup and manage. This would make me actually enjoy using it.
steverydz

3 years ago

I am desperate for single window mode in Pixelmator. It is the only reason I haven't completely ditched Photoshop - I just find the floating panels really hard to work with, and fullscreen mode does not solve the problem. My whole team would switch to Pixelmator if this option were available.
GrinningShark

3 years ago

+1 ... Would love a single window mode. Docking palettes would also be a +++ as well as a menu that contains the effects, so I do not need to use a palette.
feedin

3 years ago

+1
philLondon

3 years ago

+1
I spend more time moving palettes than editing my pictures!
Tekl

2 years ago

+1
WhippinPixels

2 years ago

mo def something needs to help us make and keep law and order with the tool palettes. Shift-Cmd-R is a help but I agree something more is needed.
2012 MacBook Pro, Non-retina, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD
GRScott

2 years ago

Single window mode would be greatly appreciated. How many times have I clicked in the wrong place to put myself out of Pixelmator and into the Finder (Mac). Having to again select Pixelmator to continue working.
_Josh_

2 years ago

Bump for single-window mode (or dual-window mode, image in one window, tools all docked in another.)
CTU Jack Bauer

2 years ago

I agree! The flying palettes need al lot of space during a Project.
And this on a 15'' MacBook Pro. It may be fine on a 27'' iMac but not on a MacBook
ardchoille

2 years ago

If single-window mode is implemented, please implement it as an option.. some of us don't want single-window mode.
GCent

2 years ago

It would be great to have single window mode.
ptpanda

2 years ago

Had pixelmator for a while now, and thought a single window mode would've been implemented by now. Please add this feature. Thnx (^_^).
pmi

2 years ago

+1 for single-window mode
+1 for change color from black to gray
qwho

2 years ago

+1 for single window mode as an option, puh-leeeeeeeze, this setup is ridiculous.

I read something about making a separate workspace and then having pixelmator open in that workspace, has anyone done this, and how is it done?
milamber

2 years ago

+1 single window mode
(+1 brighter UI option)
tokyojerry

2 years ago

I second the motion on single window environment.
cmlux

2 years ago

I also will be very happy about a single window mode. Thank you in advanced.
georgbachmann

2 years ago

yes... please... single window mode! +1 from me too
muhasturk

2 years ago

Do you listen your customer? We all want that include single window option to pixelmator

Please sign in to post.