Gradients on Vector Shapes

Topic locked
clifton

3 years ago

At present, it appears that Pixelmator 2.0 requires you to do a few tricks to apply a gradient to a Shape. I believe that applying gradients should be native functionality, just like adding shadows and strokes.

ilyashmorgun

3 years ago

+1: This is definetely necessary functionality.
modulus

3 years ago

+1
Tudor

3 years ago

Or at least please allow us to Cmd-click on a shape to make a selection so we can fill it with a gradient on a separate layer.
neurofuzzy

3 years ago

This was basically the first thing I tried when I downloaded the trial. This is a must-have for me! +100
nicklo

3 years ago

neurofuzzy wrote:This was basically the first thing I tried when I downloaded the trial. This is a must-have for me! +100

Same here. The feature list suggests these vector shapes are great for creating buttons, etc for web designers, but this isn't really the case without being able to add gradients easily. I expect the Pixelmator team have this on their list though.
Roller

3 years ago

You could creat your shape then "Convert to Pixel". The Ctrl+Click the thumbnail to select the shape then add the gradient. Would that work for you as a work around until they improve this?

OR better yet.

Add a new layer above the shape, right click it and "Create a clipping mask" and add your gradient to it.
PabloCO

3 years ago

+1
craig

3 years ago

+1 that would be very convenient
Chechar

3 years ago

+++++1 :)
CWS

3 years ago

+1
Pegasus

3 years ago

+1

While your working on the gradient tool for vectors it would also be nice to make the "Gradient Settings" detachable and resizable. It is virtually impossible to work on a complex gradient and fine tune it. Even with some of the less complex gradients it's impossible to set the color distribution handle to 50%.
almarma

3 years ago

+100 to this too. It's really hard to design anything without this feature. It's really hard to design a simple button or any icon without gradients.

I would like to ask also for the ability to add gradients not only to fill, but to the border too.

Regards
EGlasheen

3 years ago

It's a must have. The work around is too cumbersome.

Thanks,

Ed
Fatty

3 years ago

Yeah, that'd be a nice feature.

But I'm opposing this. -1!

Wouldn't it be better to have these features under 'Layer Styles'? Similar to Photoshop. (There's already a massive thread here: http://www.pixelmator.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=1352)

Fill & Stroke is quite standard, but everything else should be separated imho. Even Fill & Stroke should be separated.

This will allow for much more flexible styles, not just gradient fill. Like bevel/emboss, glow filters, filling with patterns, etc. Needless to say, shadowing should be moved here too.

Pixelmator is definitely not Photoshop and it is obviously not trying to become a Photoshop clone (which is a big plus!), but so far I cannot see any other convenient, isolated and non-destructive way of applying such effects on vector shapes (or on bitmaps, for that matter)

Moving them to a completely separate 'Layer Styles' dialog/feature would also keep the UI clean and features wouldn't be scattered across multiple dialogs or end up in strange places.

Another big plus for having Layer Styles is that they can also work for non-shape layers (If that is implemented, of course. But we can always start small, make it available only for Shape layers first?). Which means 'Stroke' could perhaps work as 'Outline' for non-shape layers, and 'Fill' could work as a 'Fill overlay' (Color overlay?), etc.

Shape layers should only care about the shape itself, not the styling of shapes.
majofski

2 years ago

I think it's incredible that the Pixelmator team didn't add this feature. There is absolutely no simple way to do gradients. This is astonishing. I was so hopeful that Pixelmator could replace Photoshop once and for all with the 2.0 update, but I was let down.

I downloaded the Trial version, but I'm going to have to remove it without this one feature.

Wow, once again.
Fatty

2 years ago

Let's not forget: They DID add a ton of great features and big improvements. They also added vector editing tools. Sure, it's not perfect, nor it fulfills everyone's needs, but they added it anyway. Considering Pixelmator was not a vector editing tool to begin with, this is something to be celebrated, not to be condemned.

I'm sure they didn't add this feature only to get disappointed users. I'm also sure these tools will improve over time, and there's only so much time.

The simple solution is to continue using whatever one has been using for vector editing before, if this one doesn't yet fulfill one's needs.
noelboss

2 years ago

+1 First thing i tried after purchase.

Also, please add Filters to Shapes and Groups.
electricarts

2 years ago

+1

This would bring me one step closer to replace Fireworks!
hsplinter

2 years ago

+1 Agree, One of the features I need to make the step from Fireworks
MarekZeman91

2 years ago

I can just agree =)
+1
I love Pxm ♥
aaronbushnell

2 years ago

+ 1 billion
majofski

2 years ago

+ 1 trillion
joelseneque

2 years ago

+1
gamrcobe

2 years ago

I've been very annoyed that you can't just Command click on a vector shape thumb and grab the selection.

The other day I stumbled on the fact that you can, if the vector shape is in a "group" by itself.

So if you right click on the vector shape layer and choose group you can now click on the group thumbnail to grab the shape and on a new layer fill with a gradient. Of course Ungroup it when your done.

But yeah +1 for there being an easier way soon.
Bluebie

2 years ago

I'd rather be able to use shapes as masks, and draw the gradients on other layers - that said, I hope pixelmator one day has vector gradients - meaning the gradient retains control points and can be carefully tweaked, and when an image is resized to a larger or smaller resolution, the gradient would be redithered where currently it looks blocky when enlarging or discretized when reducing sizes. I'm really impressed that the gradient tool is smart enough to add the dithering necessary to work around the lower than ideal colour depth on most LCD screens.
Zaphodz

2 years ago

+1 for vector gradients. Essential for quick button and icon creation
titosrevenge

2 years ago

This is literally the first thing I tried and was sorely disappointed when I found that layer styles were not supported. Nice attempt at replacing Photoshop, but you're falling really short.
ipod_david

2 years ago

+1 +1 +1 :)
I vote for that too!
dmackie

2 years ago

That would be awesome!
Slowboy

2 years ago

Nice tip Gamrcobe! I was a bit peeved at that too - resorted to converting to pixels, but I'll defintiely group next time I need to!
Grads in shapes would be nice. Layer effects would be nice.
caydon

2 years ago

+1 look at Apple's iWork applications as a reference on how to make gradient filling shapes easy.
Slowboy

2 years ago

Something that I've really only just cottoned on to, and probably should've grasped many years ago, having been doing this kind of stuff for well over a decade now, is that you can very simply add a gradient over a shape, or anything, for that matter, with a clipping mask!

1. Make your shape.
2. Stick a layer above it.
3. Slap a gradient in that layer.
4. Right click the layer and choose 'Create Clipping Mask'
5. Relax.

Possibly even easier and more flexible than having the feature hidden away in the shape's settings?
nuno

2 years ago

+1
nunoguerra.com
Jim Love

2 years ago

I can almost use Pixelmator for serious work, but not without gradients for shapes as Layer Styles. I need to have the same functionality as Layer Styles in Photoshop. Until I have non-destructive editing of shape outlines (bezier points), complex gradient fills (linear, radial, and multiple color set points), and gradient outlines, I can't uninstall Photoshop. I really like this app, I WANT to use it, but I can't go without these features in my production process.

P.S.
Please don't tell me about any workarounds using masks, converting to pixels, etc. It has to be easier than Photoshop, or I'll just use Photoshop... as will my team.
Slowboy

2 years ago

Jim, I don't want to make your blood boil or anything, but have you considered the business side of things? Taking the relative costs of the two apps into account, would it be financially practical for you and your team to test the work arounds?
If a tasks takes 10 minutes longer in Pixelmator, how much, in real business terms has this cost you and your team? How much does Photoshop actually cost for EVERY person in your team to use? How does this compare to the cost of finding a workaround in either Pixelmator, or any other much cheaper, or possibly free app?
I'm not saying I don't want Pixelmator to gain these features, of course I do, but I'm also willing to seek new, *much, much cheaper* alternatives, rather than throwing in the towel at the first hint of trouble. Perhaps your production process really does need these features, but there are many more ways to skin a cat!
I struggled the same as you to uninstall Photoshop, it took me about six months to finally ditch it - but I'm very glad that I did!
nuclear.glow

2 years ago

Tricky.

I'm not a designer, but I frequently need to cook up something for documentation. As I am someone who normally works in pixels (JPG, PNG, TIFF) it took me a while to realise that Pixelmator draws images in vectors. I would love to have a direct gradient fill, but I can see that this is maybe very hard work to translate into vector data.

Thankfully my needs are basic enough that I can escape into Omnigraffle Pro for the technical objects - its shading and gradient tools are good enough for me..
Slowboy

2 years ago

Hey Glow, if your needs are basic enough, try my steps a few posts up, it may still be quicker because it'll allow you to stay in the one program. It's always a hassle jumping between apps. (which is why I hope they pull their fingers out and get proper layer styles in there, but that's another story!)
simwit

2 years ago

+1
eduludi

2 years ago

+1
Liam Scheff

2 years ago

Brilliant. True. Easy to implement. This feature appears in iPad drawing programs...
harrharr

2 years ago

+1

I was sitting 3 hours this afternoon and tried to fill that dumb vector rectangle with a gradient ....... and now I find out that there is no gradient for vector graphics?Are you serious ???

I just did this now in gimp.

I really hope this is something which will be implemented very soon !
an0

2 years ago

+1

It's an essential feature.
an0

2 years ago

As to the'Create Clipping Mask' workaround, how can I keep my stroke from being covered by the gradient layer? I only want to FILL my rounded rectangle with gradient.
an0

2 years ago

Thanks seb. Just too tedious, Pixelamator, we need this feature!
bob35758

1 year ago

Note that this issue is now fixed. Gradient is an option in the list of colors for a shape and when the shape is selected one may choose where the gradient starts and ends. Way go go Pixelmator!!!

Please sign in to post.