Resize during Export for Web

oshaughnessy

5 years ago

Hi. I'd love to see an option to resize an image during an "Export for Web" save. This post from just over a year ago has a few requests for the feature, as well: http://www.pixelmator.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=2724&sid=bb5ce966f391b1a07127630c0c3fbaab.

Saving during web export would allow me to keep my original in a single high-resolution file while allowing for simple scaling to meet the purposes of specific applications at the time that I save. I don't know if there's a better way to do this in Pixelmator, but I haven't been able to find it and it's feature I use all the time in Photoshop.

Thanks.
Hatter

5 years ago

Interesting... I know Photoshop does that, but it's a feature I'd never use.
If I want a smaller version for the web, I want to do the sharpening on the actual size I'm going to use.
My workflow is to do all the edits including sharpening (with sharpening being the final edit), then save the full-size version. Then I undo the sharpening, resize the image and re-do the sharpening, before exporting. Then I quit without saving as I don't want to overwrite the full-size version.
oshaughnessy

5 years ago

Interesting -- I hadn't thought about sharpening. Still, I think that's another point that argues for an export workflow. You want to sharpen and resize before saving for web use, but you still don't save it with those steps applied because you want to keep the original.

I'm sure there are some complications and compromises that would have to be sorted out, but I can see having an "export for web" feature that walks you through options, the way it does now, but adds some modification capabilities into the sequence with nice defaults (like, say, automatically choosing the last-used resize parameters or sharpening levels). Maybe even add a way to save different export templates, so I could have my "export as icon" option or "export as banner" icon, each with its own presets.

Interesting comment, Hatter. Thanks.
cmcguinness

5 years ago

Hatter wrote:Interesting... I know Photoshop does that, but it's a feature I'd never use.
If I want a smaller version for the web, I want to do the sharpening on the actual size I'm going to use.

Having the export explicitly support that workflow would work better for me. A use case I have is generating images for iPhone apps -- you have to do it twice, once for non-retina displays and once at 2x size for retina displays. If you're just generating an alpha version of the app, you don't need pixel perfect, and you just want to bang it out quickly and move on...

Plus, having to resize the actual image sets off warning bells for me that I am now at risk of overwriting my master image. It's a very uncomfortable feeling; I'd prefer to leave the master alone and apply transient transformations during export.
Sebastiaan

5 years ago

To further automate things after web export like resizing for example one could create a folder with an automator action attached to it.

One could for example save a copy of your pxm document as a tiff to an automator enabled folder and then the automator action will automatically convert this tiff to different sized jpg's and png's. One could go so far to have these files uploaded to the web as well.
litchie

5 years ago

I would like to second the feature request. Use automator seems over kill for me. Most of the times I just want it done once.
uvesten

5 years ago

Seconded.

The only reason I registered an account on the forum was to request this. Have been checking back into pixelmator from time to time, checking if the feature was implemented yet, but no. This is a dealbreaker for me.
sunny-dj

4 years ago

I would also like the feature to set the size during the export.
I create postcards in print resolution
and a smaller copy to put it in the drop box for voting.
At the moment I create the high resolution file, save it,
scale down the resolution, make the export,
and undo the scaling (which I sometimes forget;-)
dimashmidt

3 years ago

I also want this. As I think it would be better to create a predefined resize sets in some table, so I can easily choose needed sizes.
Also it could be great to assign suffixes for different sizes.
--
Have a nice day
moonunit7

3 years ago

This is where Fireworks' "Pages" shined... you had retina graphics on the one page and normal on the other and then export pages to files in one go!
russianryebread

3 years ago

+1 for this feature. I used to use it in the Web Export feature of Photoshop all the time.
Zaphodz

3 years ago

+1 on this feature, as described by dimaschmidt
fredrikpacius

3 years ago

+1 for this. I need this regularily.
yurinativo

3 years ago

+1 extremamente necessário!
Yuri Natividade
prpr1010

3 years ago

+1 for this feature.I need this always
pmi

3 years ago

+1 on this feature, as described by dimaschmidt
danmork

3 years ago

+1. My use case for this is that, when creating images for an iOS or Windows 8 app, you must export an image to many image files of varying sizes due to varying device resolution and device pixel density.

It would be nice to be able to do this type of work in a few clicks. I'd be fine with Automator workflow tasks for this too, however I've tried using the Pixelmator Automator workflow tasks to "Change Type of Images" and "Fit Images" but the output is far more pixelated (perhaps related to the "Resample Image" option in the "Image Size" feature).
nickhell

3 years ago

+1
spajonas

3 years ago

+1 for me too. I'm using Pixelmator after 16 years of Photoshop and this is a much needed tool. I like the way Acorn has export implemented. In the export dialog box, you're able to change the dimensions and preview it before saving. It's a needed feature. At this time, I export an image to JPEG and then open that JPEG and do all my resizing. Extra steps that aren't needed and could be handled in the Export to Web process.
ras.lucas

2 years ago

+1 So very very much. I would love to use pixelmator for my web design stuff. Working at a company, usually all I have to do it get a image, crop it slightly maybe, touch it up a little and save for web. Can't really do this with Pixelmator.

Making images pixel perfect is good for speed reasons, especially when you're using an older type of CMS.
babbage

2 years ago

For me, this is an "Export" option, not just an "Export for Web" option, and it would be hugely useful.

I'm using Pixelmator to edit assets for a smartphone app. I always want to do all work with the original full resolution images, since it is inevitable in the future that I may need to target a new form factor/different resolution for a new device or similar. Therefore, I end up in the kind of workflow described above that ends with "Then I quit without saving as I don't want to overwrite the full-size version." Except of course that time when you don't.

Currently there is image size and canvas size. I just want a third option, "Export size". And, of course, automatic support for @2x would be dandy. :)
Cynder

2 years ago

I enjoy using Pixelmator for many things but having a useful export workflow that more easily controls exporting to web in a way that allows me to control the W x H @ X ppi, transparency, matte, and format would wrest control of image editing from the clutches of the bloated Adobe Photoshop.

I don't need 90% of what Adobe Photoshop offers but they do have an understanding of export workflow and automation that is unrivaled so I continue to pay... month after month. Ugh!

Mikey

2 years ago

+1... Actually, I don't see why the Pixelmator function is call "Export for the Web" while one cannot tune the file size. (fortunately, I am still in Trial mode)
studio

2 years ago

+1
umekolle

2 years ago

Yes I really want this... If so I think I leave Photoshop!
TimSnoots

2 years ago

+1...The only two features keeping me from abandoning Photoshop Elements entirely are: 1) the lack of a resize option during save for web, and 2) an integrated batch processing feature. Photoshop and Photoshop Elements have great interfaces for both of these that I use daily when prepping images for the web. These two features are the only remaining workflow features that Pixelmator lacks that I simply can't do without.

I really appreciate what all pixelmator offers and hope that such resizing features can be added in the near future. Keep up the good work.
orokusaki

2 years ago

+1

In my opinionPixelmator doesn't care about their customers, so I don't imagine this will ever be added.
jarvisuser90

2 years ago

+1

This would make my exporting workflow so much easier!!!!
thehitman620

1 year ago

+1 The only feature keeping me from leaving Photoshop entirely!
DesignByAdrian

1 year ago

+1 - another dealbreaker for me!
Studio.201 - db

1 year ago

+1
bendelaney

1 year ago

I too joined the forums just so I could request this. This is an OLD thread. Mind-blowing that Pixelmator still doesn't have this feature. As others have said, this is probably the only significant reason I open Photoshop these days.

Yes, I can resize, export, and undo—but that is simply not a smooth "Export for Web..." workflow. I want to keep my high res graphics, and export to any size, at will.

Please add this feature so I can ditch Photoshop.
Sebastiaan

1 year ago

Rob Ell

4 months ago

Supporting this as a native Pixelmator option. TheAutomator approach, though interesting, still requires that additional work be done post as the watch folder is hard coded tothe automator action.

Please sign in to post.