Interpolation options on resize

bitbot.cc

6 years ago

It would be beyond fantastic to have a choice of interpolation methods when running "image size" and "free transform" operations. In particular I often need the "nearest neighbor" method, rather than bilinear/bicubic, because I want to preserve sharp edges.

Thanks!
pacoo2454

6 years ago

agreed!
Millerszone

5 years ago

So far I like what I see with Pixelmator 2, but I don't see no interpolation. :(
gregr

5 years ago

+1 to this - would be nice to be able to specify how the resizing takes place. Just today I was creating some retina graphics, and wanted to upscale but keep sharp edges so I could go back in manually and draw what I wanted. Had to go back to Photoshop to get it done... :-(
pacoo2454

5 years ago

This is one of the few reasons I keep photoshop around. Adding this will really begin to make me consider only using pixelmator.
acous

4 years ago

+1 for nearest neighbour!
lucas

4 years ago

+1
evdheuvel

4 years ago

+1 Agree with pacoo2454, I keep Photoshop around just for resizing images. Images lose too much sharpness on downsampling.
mrspeaker

4 years ago

I hope this is in for the next version too. In the mean time, I made a Pixelmator Quartz Composer plugin for doing nearest-neighbor scaling for pixel art: http://www.mrspeaker.net/2013/05/14/pix ... ixelmator/
bkeniray

3 years ago

I do not understand why sharp edges are not preserved by default, or why there is no option to preserve them. Why can't pixelmator do with images the same thing that it's own zoom function can do? Makes no sense. I think any sane person would agree that this is more important than adding more features that recreate poorly exposed photographs.

tl;dr let me do pixel art in pixelmator.

Thanks.
Bernhard

3 years ago

+1 for more resizing options in general

requested options:
+ Content Aware Scaling / Liquid Rescale / Seam Carving
(open source; implemented in Gimp, PS, etc.)
see:http://liblqr.wikidot.com
see:http://www.faculty.idc.ac.il/arik/SCWeb/imret/imret.pdf

+ Edge-Adaptiv Lanczos Resampling
(Lanczos4 for Edges; Lanczos2 for the rest)
imcr

3 years ago

+1 for nearest neighbor
thomasbuckler

3 years ago

+1,000 Ability to not interpolate when upscaling. I guess multiple interpolation algorithms in addition to none, would be the best. thanks ya'll.
ricperry1

3 years ago

Totally agree with Bernhard... add Content Aware Scaling. Then I don't need to supplement my Pixelmator use with The Gimp.
uhadi

3 years ago

+1 for for all the suggested options
yoyoooooooo

3 years ago

+1 for seam carving!
noliv

2 years ago

This missing feature is so important to me that I need to have an other additional image editing app on my system (easy on the Mac, not so on the iPad… can’t find a good one and exchanging files is still somewhat cumbersome).

Having a simple affine and nearest neighbor like Acorn would be really appreciated. Please please please :)
Reydn

2 years ago

Here here!
MarosHolly

2 years ago

Me too, I need this!
IlyaT

1 year ago

+1
ardenbee

1 year ago

Apparently, you can do this using a hidden feature since Pixelmator 3.4.1(Released on December 8, 2015)

From the release notes:

• Resize images with nearest-neighbor scaling: hold down Option key (⌥) when clicking OK in the Image Size dialog
claramontseny

10 months ago

+1 for bicubic and lanczos methods , please!
BioExorzist

2 months ago

Thanks ardenbee for the Info, it worked :)

But a regular Option would be better^^
ddnava

1 month ago

Actually, I'd love to have a "Pixelated" resize option. It's basically a Nearest Neighbor with anti-aliasing. On sizes between 100% and 200% it would be the same as bilinear, while on integer multipliers it would be the same as Nearest Neighbor, but it would be useful for non-integer scales greater than 200%.

Imagine I upscale an image to 350%. With Nearest Neighbor I get a column of pixels get transformed to 3 pixels wide, and the next to 4, and the next to 3, etc. Same with the rows

With a "Pixellated" resize option I would get a 3-pixel column/row, a "merging" column/row, and a 3-pixel column/row, then another 3-pixel column/row, another "merging" column/row, and another 3-pixel column/row and so on. It makes the upscale retain the sharpness of Nearest Neighbor but with each pixel being resized to the same size

Please sign in to post.