Please add "Save as" and "Export to PXM"

yotmylmwyd

3 years ago

Please consider adding a "Save as" option. I've been able to work around not having a "Save as" option by going to the Finder, renaming the original file, saving the working document with a new name, then going back to the Finder to rename the original file back to its original name. So, yes, it's doable, but it's a bit of a pain.

Similarly, it would be great to have some kind of "Export to PXM" option. When editing a PNG file, the save option saves the PNG file. Which is great and does what I would expect it to. But it would be really nice to also be able to save/export the working document in PXM format. Here again there's a somewhat awkward workaround: copy everything in the document, create a new document of the same size, and paste. Then the new "Untitled" document can be saved in PXM format. But a save/export to PXM option would be a very handy addition and save all those steps.

Sebastiaan

3 years ago

In the last two OS X versions you can open the file menu and hold the option key. While you hold the option key you will see an option called Save As...

Also by default Pixelmator will open all non-pxm formatted images into a new pxm-document eliminating the need to have an export to pxm-option. So if you want this back you can go to the Pixelmator preferences and activate "Open documents in the Pixelmator file format". Then if you are working on a png-image and want it saved back to png in stead of a new Pixelmator document you can use the export function and overwrite the original png or save the image as a new png.
yotmylmwyd

3 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply!

"Save as": I'm running the latest version of Mavericks (10.9.3). When I hold the option key for the file menu, the only change is the "Close" option changes to "Close all".

"Export to PXM": The default "Save" behavior is perfect just as it is. When I open a PNG or JPEG image, the "Save" option saves the changes in the original file format, which is exactly what I'd expect. I'm not really looking to change that default behavior. But on those occasions where I've made substantial changes to the file and want to save/export the file as a new PXM file, it would be very handy to have that as an export option. My request: Open PNG/JPEG matches with Save PNG/JPEG (current behavior), with the addition of Export PXM as an option.

Thanks for your consideration of these requests. Are you a member of the Pixelmator team? If so, thanks for an excellent product!
ms-studio

2 years ago

Yes, please add a "Save As" option!
gausley

1 year ago

I agree. Save As is badly needed. Right now if you rename a PXM file, it literally changes the original file. You have to give us an easy way to open PXM files and save as to multiple different versions. I've never used a program that didn't have Save As before so I have inadvertently destroyed multiple files so far.
swah

1 year ago

I have recently gone back to using Pixelmator a lot more, and agree that this is extremely frustrating. I'm on OSX Yosemite, with "Open documents in pixelmator format" disabled (so that quick editing native formats like png, tif, etc. and hitting Ctrl-S works as expected). But like yotmylmwyd said above, it's very common to open a file and make significant changes and want to save it as PXM, or even open an existing PXM file and make enough changes that you want to create a completely new PXM file...and without a "save as" option there is absolutely no way to do that. His screenshot is accurate: holding down the option key only replaces "close" with "close all": nothing else in the menu changes.

If you open a PNG, work for 20 minutes creating layers, etc., you have simply just LOST all that work since hitting "save" will flatten it back to a PNG format: as far as I can tell, there is no way to save all the work you've just done.
swah

1 year ago

Holy crap, Cmd-Option-Shift-S ACTUALLY WORKS. I randomly came across this in a different thread from a year ago, and although it's completely non-discoverable unless you actually know the key combo, it is finally a way to NOT lose all your work after doing a lot of edits to a non-pxm file.

Cmd-Option-Shift-S will pop open a traditional "Save As" dialog. Why that isn't in the File menu by default is beyond me: it's a pretty short menu, and there's no good reason why not to have for those who need it, even if it's just provided as an alternative to the standard behavior Apple is trying to push via OSX in _some_ of their apps.
ms-studio

1 year ago

Whow, after using Pixelmator since years while cringing in frustration about that missing "Save as..." option, I just discovered that it was hidden there... Why do you need to hide those things?

Also, why not make that shortcut Cmd-Shift-S, which is pretty established across many applications?
breinhardt

9 months ago

+1 Give us Save as....
Seems so strange that the shift+ cmd+option+s works but no menu.
My students would love this.
janab

8 months ago

I really need "save as" so I can save new versions of a .pxm file when I experiment with a variation, but don't want to lose the previous version. This is so awkward to manage without "save as". Thanks.
merget

7 months ago

As far as I can tell, "save as" still doesn't do what you want.

When I use "save as", it first overwrites the .pxm file I've been editing, and THEN creates an identical copy at the new name. The behavior is the same as if I'd clicked "save", and then copied the file to the new name. The original .pxm is lost forever, no matter what. Very annoying.

Please sign in to post.