Everything is too small

gwardlaw

3 years ago

Everything in PIxelmator is too small to use. I cannot see the tools to use them. All this hype about the program and I cannot use it because it is too small and the dark backbround makes it even worse. This program is a ripoff. I just downloaded the upgrade and nothing has changed. People have been complaining for months. I want may money back !!!
Ausra

3 years ago

Hi gwardlaw,

We see your requests to change Pixelmator user interface and we do have it in mind for the future. However, we cannot promise you anything right now. If you are unhappy with Pixelmator, want a refund, please, contact the Mac App Store support for this. Here's a link:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/contact/
Support Manager @Pixelmator Team
Max

3 years ago

I totally agree withgwardlaw, everything is so tiny. In combination with dark UI, Pixelmator's UI looks awful.
Can't use it.
RNKLN

3 years ago

I've compared Pixelmator's user interface elements, such as the toolbox icons, with those of other applications and i don't notice any difference in size. Even on a 13 inch retina MacBook Pro with resolution set to 1680x1050 i can work with them easily. I agree with many commenters in that the UI is too dark with not enough contrast.

I don't consider Pixelmator a rip-off but a great tool delivering a lot of value for a minimal amount of money.
Dranix

3 years ago

Yes the fonts in Pixelmator are way to small. Not everyone is a teen anymore.
tonylawrence

3 years ago

I registered just so I could express my appreciation and echo a couple requests from others. Pixelmator does just about everything I need in an image editing program. The price is fair. The features are well-impemented.

There are two reasons why I have not deleted Photoshop from my hard drive. 1. The interface is too small and too dark. I have to zoom my screen constantly to see the tools. Considering the vast number who have posted about this in the forums I am surprised this deficiency hasn't been addressed sooner. Really, it is a major flaw. 2. The ability to select with an aspect ratio. Cropping photos to print in 4X6 or 8X10 would be much easier with these features. When I have to do this I simply go back to Photoshop Elements.

I wanted to say I would have no problem paying for an upgrade which addressed these issues. The companies that innovate while still responding to their installed user base are the ones that will succeed.
Coen

3 years ago

The first answer is up to the Pixelmator team, but your second question is easily answered: You can use the crop tool to do exactly that.

Don't panic
tonylawrence

3 years ago

Thank you Coen. I had been using the marquee and contextual menu to crop. I guess old Photoshop habits die slowly.
glidagida

3 years ago

Have to agree with gwardlaw/max/dranix

I have been using Pixelmator since 2009 and it has always been a brilliant programme, getting better and better with each update. Until version 3 that is........the UI is unusable on my 13" MacBook Pro it is soooo tiny.

What used to be one of my favourite programmes with a really friendly UI has now become a battle.

My major complaints are:
1. Tools in the Toolbar are ridiculously small. That is a black mark against ease of use.
2. The interface is just too dark, you actually have to look hard and focus your eyes to see a tool or command. Eye strain with long sessions is a real issue because of the black background despite its 'trendy' appearance the 'look at me' interface that might sell well just does not cut it, it slows down my work. That is another black mark against ease of use.
3.Putting 'Filters' into effects browser just causes more clicks to get an operation done. The 'trendy' interface actually requires more effort to get things done. Same goes for most tools, what was simple and clear is now hidden under a garish splotch of 'trendy' colour, but all icons are the same, they do not give me any idea as to their functionality.

I have multiple machines and multiple copies of Pixelmator and II find myself drifting back toward the machine with older versions to do my graphics work or I use Gimp [and I don't like Gimp]. Unfortunately I see V3 as a backward step.

Cheers
GG
Carlam

3 years ago

Even this BLOG is unreadable. I am over 50. I can't see this site, and I can't see anything on pixelmator UI. TERRIBLE! Come on kids. And young you must be, for if you were older you would not be able to see your own work. Black backgrounds are terrible. And tiny micro graphics are unworkable. TERRIBLE!
foralien

3 years ago

I've just registeted to find an info - if there is any way to make everything in Pixelmator UI less dark and larger, and found this discussion for a great pity.

I have large screen with resonable resolution to work on design projects and that make toolbars and icons simply undistinctiable: I have to move closer to screen all the time just to see things (I'm not over 50 and my eyes are quite OK).

I try to adjust brightess/contrast of the monitor but that didn't work.

I pray for Pixelmator team to hear their users and add an ability to have light skin (why not grey?) with larger icons and fonts.
madterrapin

3 years ago

This is something which has irritated me for some time now - I don't use Pixelmator as much as I could because of this very reason; it really strains my eyes.

I find it hard to believe that its so difficult (and taking so long) to do considering another relatively new app has come up with a really good way to do this (see image). Is it possible to add something like this to Pixelmator?

pixel888

3 years ago

Totally agree.

If you're over 40 most likely Pixelmator, this blog, and the entire website are a real chore to read. Small white text on black. Violates all user-interface best practices.

Pixelmator is an amazing app made rather unusable by the TEENY tool icons and small white typeface on jet-black background. I got so frustrated with using Pixelmator that I gave Acorn a try. Whilst not as versatile or as accurate in the importing of Photoshop files, its user interface is light years easier to use than Pixelmator. In contrast Acorn was a pleasure to use.

Unfortunately, Pixelmator is now used only in emergencies. I'd rather use it full-time but can't.

The just-released iPad app looks astounding, but too it has the same UI readability issues. Small white type on black. Even the screenshots used on iTunes and Pixelmator's website are somewhat difficult to read.

Pixelmator's usage would no doubt increase exponentially by addressing this white-text-on-black issue. For years they've said they'll consider it but for whatever reason have chosen not to do so.

A shame. I so want to make Pixelmator my full-time graphics and image app but can't. I'm not 20 with sharp eyes. I'm 45 with aging eyes.

(Apparently reading white text on black background is also more exhausting and tiring, according to studies at UC Berkeley in California.)
saiena

3 years ago

I agree. The interface elements below the document window's title bar are too small.

Should be easy to fix: Add a preference that toggles between standard and mini toolbar icons.
coediwr

2 years ago

Yes everything is far too small but a workaround, connect second screen (1920*1080) and put all the tools on this leaving the image on the main screen.

At least now you can see the tools and the image is the correct resolution for me.
eleanore

2 years ago

Completely agree with all comments above. I also have lost the Welcome Screen and cannot bring it up. The Usr Manual says you can change this in General Preferences but the Welcome Screen is not mentioned. Frustrated Eleanore PS Tutorials do not go step by step. They assume the user is used to these programs.
mickmjm

2 years ago

Add my vote please for too small and too black. I'm not really sure how such a great piece of software can be published with such a terrible UI. Even this white on black is really uncomfortable to read for more than a few minutes.
Mquack

2 years ago

Nice app and while I use photoshop professionally, Pixelmator offers some nice quick alternatives. One large problem is the inability to scale user icons so that I can see them! Yikes, type and icons on black - graphic design nightmare for making everything appear smaller and I'm working on dual 30" Nec monitors. Impossible to see brushes, etc. please offer options and larger icons, white or gray background. Thanks!!
marble

2 years ago

Download the trial.

I am in my 60's and wear reading glasses but I can read anything on my iMac s27" screen without a problem - except for the fonts in Pixelmator.

Sorry - I will not be purchasing this at the end of the trial. I'll manage with my ancient version of Photoshop (or GIMP).
mercury~

2 years ago

Yup, the tool size causes a strain on the eyes using the software. I am in the middle of a Lynda tutorial on Pixelmator and don't find it easy even with the hand holding. I don't mind the dark interface, in fact I like it. But even so, there should be a slider allowing for the perfect setting.

Where is the adjustment slider for size and color on the interface?

Even this forum font is too small. WHAT'S UP?
caperaven

2 years ago

I just got a retina 5k mac and was very excited to get started with pixelmator, but the UI makes it sooo hard to work with.
Please add better UI scaling as a priority on your next release, so many people are struggling with this issue.
I want to continue using the application but it would be great if I can get my nose out of the screen to do so.
Edita

2 years ago

We hear you all and we do have your requests to change the interface of Pixelmator in mind.
julidesign

1 year ago

I couldn't agree more. Brillant software but interface font is way too small.
ejkitchen@gmail.com

1 year ago

I agree. You need to offer different sizes. The team needs to offer the ability to scale buttons and certain UI elements.
davidgra202

1 year ago

Failing to fix this is business suicide. Makes me distrust the future of this product.
DennyZ

1 year ago

I agree that its hard to read also
SVP77

1 year ago

As a new user with a 30" cinema display. I also agree. Almost not usable.
ivan_herman

1 year ago

I am currently evaluating Pixelmator, and I agree this is a problem. It makes me a bit disappointed, that this feature request is two years' old, and it is still around...
fuzuku

1 year ago

The usefulness of this application would be much improved for me if the tool icons could be made larger. Also, there is an annoying amount of delay between when I hover over a tool and when the text appears which tells what it is. I already bought the program but I assumed I was going to find a way to adjust the interface. I do not want a refund. I would rather that you help us out here. Thanks!
PsykX

1 year ago

The only way to use this app is to use Retina-Resolutions on Non-Retina displays.
The problem with this is, I'm running it 1280x720 on my 27-in iMac, and the screen-estate is wayyyyy too small. With the palettes floating all around the place, it's a mess.
riktorscale

1 year ago

I'm going to add my voice , and frustration to this request.

for this program to be usable i NEED an improved user interface. it should have been addressed long ago. I'm assuming the development team has focused on the actual functionality which is very important but then so is its interface as i would have thought all these messages should have alerted you.

its a major differentiation of something like photoshop which is stupidly expensive and has many features that you easily have matched. However if it's not useable due to its interface then whats the point.

PLEASE THIS IS VITAL. IF USERS CANT SEE THE INTERFACE THEY WONT USE IT AND WITHOUT USERS.......
hunchbax

1 year ago

I agree. Everything is too small.
I need a cross over photo editing software for OS X and iOS. Pixelmator might be it but on the iMac the user interface text and icons are too tiny. What is going on. Either the software or Apple is to blame, and it may be Apple. My 27 inch iMac often has tiny UI's for various applications, like PS and Modo. Great software - wish we could SEE IT. Too much to ask?
pentool

1 year ago

The "support manager" for the Vadermator team reaplied over two years ago to the OP. His post is #2:

"We see your requests to change Pixelmator user interface and we do have it in mind for the future."

If they could not fit this into their plan for two years, I don't think they consider doing it. If you look in the "Feature Request" section, UI and usability is the most complained about. Yet, they are just not willing to do anything about it.

I wonder why not they just sell the license and the whole codebase to another company who would at least be motivated to create a decent (aka readable) UI for the app.
Mac mini late 2012 : 2.6GHz i7 : 8G/250G | rMBP 13" late 2013 : 2.6GHz i5 : 8G/250G | OS X 10.9.4
Douglas Lassance

1 year ago

Love the small and sharp interface. Don't change it.
Rob Ell

10 months ago

Whoo boy! Do I ever support this request! PLEASE, give an option to enlarge the UI. The current implementation gets in the way of using the program (we're talking the desktop app here) as I have to squint and hunt to find the icon/tool I want on my 27" iMac Retina. No app should get in the way if itself, right?

Options to lighten up the black on black UI would also be most welcome. AS others have said, check out the products from Affinity for a good way to do this!
Vaughn

6 months ago

I support a change too. I just downloaded this app to my Macbook Air; have spent the last several hours trying to solve this issue - thinking there just had to be a solution...... landed on the forum and now realize that is not the case. I am not going any further with it; I'll be going to the App Store seeking a refund and going back to PSE - not b/c I think it's a superior program; everything I need / want is on Pixelmator - it is just too much of a strain on eyeballs to try to see the tool icons, read tiny text, and notice where there are information entry fields (almost jet black on jet black)... PULLLEASE!!!

Please sign in to post.