Rotate view tool

WazzinGator

5 years ago

The only rotate options for the canvas are 90 º and 180.º I think it is necessary to have a tool that allows you to rotate the canvas freely to get a better angle on artwork while working on it. This is a basic tool for most programs and I really think Pixelmator should have one.
mfulop

5 years ago

Have you tried Transform (Cmd+F) on a layer?
Liam Scheff

5 years ago

On a layer, but on the whole canvas - that would be nice.
memmaker650

5 years ago

That's not important, this is a HAVE feature.
dock

5 years ago

I was very surprised to see this feature missing from Pixelmator. Photoshop has it with holding R to rotate the canvas, and other applications such as Paint Tool Sai offer this too. It's crucial for painting.
KRUChY

5 years ago

I agree!
JohnnyC

5 years ago

I agree too.
trappedinthematrix

4 years ago

I agree. I think it would be very useful to easily free-rotate the displayed work area to make free-hand drawing easier... in the same way you would move a sheet of paper when you were sketching.
paolo.cellocco

4 years ago

I totally agree.
Paolo75
trappedinthematrix

4 years ago

Is there any progress with this feature development? Sketchbook Express has this and I have switched away from Pixelmator for my first drafts.
Atalix

4 years ago

I can totally agree to this, it can make digital painting far easier. Tho I see everyone is saying Pixelmator has it already. But that's not what you mean. |D
Free hand rotating tool, with out having to use transform tool at all nor use rotate 90 or 180 degree option. Those tools are usless.
Free rotating hand canvas will be amazing to have! Other softwares have it already but they always require better GPU to use it.
FireAlpaca or SAI has the best digital painting tools to simply put out. I love to see the many options like theirs into Pixelmator
Giakse888

4 years ago

Acutal Pixelmator already does that. You hold "Ctrl" on the corner of your selection (gotta select the selection tool first- the arrow with the cross sign) and then rotate.
Jackrow

4 years ago

I must agree with the need of Free Rotation tool, because I have been experiencing a lot of difficulty without its existence, compared to Photoshop's and FireAlpaca's own. I would really like to have a thing like that and PLEASE Enable Back the canvas' free dragging feature (even outside the workspace), because I have been going nearly crazy try sticking inside the lines of the canvas, not to accidentally "Loosing" the focus from the window. I know Pixelmator was Capable of it, and got disabled at some Mysterious circumstances which was needlessly uncalled for.

Some example I have done with Pixelmator:
https://www.sofurryfiles.com/std/content?page=488897
https://www.sofurryfiles.com/std/content?page=461151
https://www.sofurryfiles.com/std/content?page=469596
https://www.sofurryfiles.com/std/content?page=458241
https://www.sofurryfiles.com/std/content?page=418329

PS: Without these tools I -and some other supporters have mentioned before me- I feel myself sitting infront of a canvas chained to a fixed position which I feel yet happy for I can still drag "somewhat" freely. =)
SKR Imaging

4 years ago

What I would like is a 2 finger rotating gesture (using mac trackpad or Wacom tablet) like in iphoto to rotate freely. Sonething like sketchbook express canvas rotate has could be a great addition to pixelmator. It would make it even more attractive to digital painters/artists.
alanza

4 years ago

If anybody out here still cares, I discovered free-rotate is achievable by selecting all layers (except the background layer) and then using the edit --> transform tool. You can drag the elements to the desired angle, or use the toolbar up top to rotate with the dial or a specific number of degrees.
Coen

4 years ago

@alanza: It's easier to just use the crop tool; that one can rotate as well. That way you don't have to select all layers by hand.

But what people are requesting here (even if the title suggests otherwise) is the ability to rotate only the VIEW of the canvas. It's a function illustrators like to use because in real life you would rotate your paper as well to make it easier to draw straight lines.
Don't panic
markux

4 years ago

I couldn't agree more! Once I got used to using the R (ESPECIALLY being able to hold R, rotate, and release R automatically reverting to my brush tool) is tremendously valuable. I think the best thing would be either a puck-style adjuster do-dad as in Sketchbook Pro or a button combo with click & drag like CS5 uses for move (spacebar brings up the hand tool), zooming (spacebar + command), adjust brush size (control + option).

This would be so so so helpful!
Thanks
im_dave

4 years ago

(tack on to Alanza's suggestion)
Alternate fix: Put all layers in a Group to allow Easy selection of all layers by selecting the Group then [command] + [f] to free rotate.
Leave your background out of the group if you don't want it to rotate.
rezicc

3 years ago

Bump.

We really need a free rotate tool. And to those who're saying you can already do this with Transform, you're thinking of the wrong thing. We're talking about something entirely different. We're talking about TEMPORARILY rotating the entire image, so you can sketch something easier without having to awkwardly move your entire body to get the perfect angle.

This video demonstrates exactly what we're looking for within the first few seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1WyPgU#t=6

Normally in Sketchbook Pro/Express, you can just hold the Space Bar down and it'll allow you to freely rotate. I like this method, but I would also second the suggestion for enabling touch support for tablets. Anyone who wants this free rotate tool is likely drawing on a tablet, and wanting to take advantage of the drawing tools in Pixelmator. However, like others have mentioned, I too have been forced to switch between applications in order to get my drawings right.

Please add this feature. It is the ONE thing preventing me from rating this app 5-stars in the app store.

Thanks in advance!
mailo

2 years ago

Two years old topic and still not implemented? :/ If it's not priority for Pixelmator Team, then at least give as some scripting interface so somebody else can implement that, plzzzz
RNKLN

2 years ago

They call it 'prioritization'.
TomcatTec

1 year ago

I would also really appreciate this feature.
un1ess

1 month ago

Does anyone know if there will be a Rotate View Tool in Pixelmator Pro? Pixelmator Pro has the Arrange Tool, but I think that will manipulate layers within the canvas, not the canvas itself.

Please sign in to post.