Clone Stamp Tool does not work

Ekomscrys

4 years ago

I am having issues with the clone stamp tool. I have tried changing many items regarding the file and how I use the tool. After carefully studying the tutorial I still have not found a solution. What I amexperiencingis after selecting my clone source I go to paint on the image but nothing is reading on screen. I tried clicking undo to see if theapplicationis recognizing that it should be painting, it is not. Pixelmator will undo the last action before I tried to paint using the clone brush. Pixelmator doesrecognizethat I have selected a clone source, it only wont recognize the painting action. I would apprecieate any help if anyone else hasexperiencedthis issue. I have a sneakingsuspicionthat I am overlooking something simple and obvious. Thanks.
ferlevin

4 years ago

I can only guess that you are working on the wrong layer.You can only clone in the same layer where you made the selection.
Coen

4 years ago

Have you tried turning on 'sample all layers'?
Don't panic
robarm

4 years ago

I'm having the same problem. What does Coen mean "sample all layers"? Where is that option. Anyway, it doesn't work even if you have only one layer.
Motiejus

4 years ago

@robarm, Sample All Layers option can be found under the Action Pop-up menu (Gear button) on the left side of the toolbar after selecting the Clone Stamp Tool.

However, if it's still not working, I'd suggest contacting the Team at support@pixelmator.com with a brief explanation how are you using the Clone Stamp Tool. OS X and Pixelmator versions should be included as well.
Pixelmator Team
robarm

4 years ago

Thanks, Motiejus. I've now done that but it makes no difference. It was something I used a lot and it's a real pain that it's not there anymore. I have just contacted Pixelmator support so we will see what they say. Hope it's quick. I need that tool right now.

I can't see how to reinstall it either. Even if I move it on to my backup drive and switch that off, the app store still says it's installed, so I can't download it again. Sometimes I miss having programs on install disks that you kept in a cupboard!
Pixelmeister

3 years ago

Try saving the image or exporting the image that you want to edit/clone as a .PDF and then opening the image as this saved .PDF image. You should be able to clone without a problem at this point. This has seemed to solve the problem for me. I too had lots of moments of pulling my hair out when I was in a hurry. :-) Hopes this helps.
scottcol

2 years ago

I had this issue - the key in resolving was to make sure there was no selection active (by using Cmd-D or edit menu, deselect all.)

If a selection is active, the clone tool won't do its thing.

Thanks to pixelmator support for the quick response.
Motiejus

2 years ago

@scottcol, it'll actually work, but just within the selection area.
Pixelmator Team
argil

2 years ago

Maybe my circumstances were relatively unique, but since this is the only troubleshooting thread I could find for the Clone Stamp tool, I thought I'd share what went wrong for me. Somehow I had set the default brush to 0% "Flow" (to change this, open the Brushes palette while the Clone Stamp is selected), and as a relatively inexperienced Pixelmator user it took me a while to figure out that was the reason nothing was drawing on the screen (despite previewing correctly). Hopefully this helps at least one frustrated soul...
tarquilu

2 years ago

I had the same issue because my opacity was set to 0%. I increased the opacityto 100% and the issue resolved. The opacity setting is on the top of the screen, to the right of the target icon to "... select an area to clone with."
hnoor0044

1 year ago

What I amexperiencingis after selecting my clone source I go to paint on the image but nothing is reading on screen. I tried clicking undo to see if theapplicationis recognizing that it should be painting, it is not. Pixelmator will undo the last action before I tried to paint using the clone brush.

== Solitaire ==
Motiejus

1 year ago

Hihnoor0044,

Does the layer where you define the clone source are contain any graphics (is not empty)? If it is empty after all, you might want to turn on the Sample All Layers feature. To do that, select the Clone Stamp Tool, click the Action pop-up menu (gear button) at the leftmost side of the Tools Option Bar and choose Sample All Layers.
Pixelmator Team
Awheelio

5 months ago

With Clone Stamp selected, try changing the source to 'Current Paint Target'. This is at the top on the main toolbar.

I've been struggling with this for a few hours and I couldn't find a solution online anywhere. Here's hopeing you figured it out a year ago

Please sign in to post.