How do you disable Snapping?

Quad5Ny

5 years ago

How do you disable objects snapping to each other in Pixelmator 2.1? In previous versions there were checkbox's in Preferences.

I had to restart into Windows and install Paint.net just to align some objects. =(
Sebastiaan

5 years ago

In the guides section of the view menu you can disable snapping by disabling the various guides options. I agree that it would be nice to be able to use the cmd key while dragging an item to temporarily disable snapping.
Quad5Ny

5 years ago

Oh! That's why I couldn't find it.

See that should be called "Snap guides to object center/Snap guides to object edges" instead of "Show guides at object center/Show guides at object edges"

Thank-you Sebastiaan. Hopefully this thread will help people Goggling how to disable automatic snapping.
josheinstein

5 years ago

Found this thread by searching for disable snapping. So thanks for that. Agree that it could be labeled more clearly and that a modifier key to disable snapping would be very desirable.
Josh
Sebastiaan

5 years ago

Josh,

We have updated Pixelmator since this thread was posted and cmd-key can now be used to disable snapping temporarily.
wilsoncpu

4 years ago

Brilliant! Just what I needed to push me over the edge and buy. I loved Fireworks (most of Photoshop's power, only cheaper), but it stopped working when I moved to the new MacBook/Retina, so needed a new replacement app, and this seems to be it. And the responsiveness of the support staff was the decider. Well done!
Everett

4 years ago

wilsoncpu,

I just wanted to let you know, what you've actually experienced is the responsiveness of the community. Pixelmator's team does answer some questions. But, often, you will discover that Pixelmator's users support each other. Sebastiaan has achieved the ranking of grand high triclopse with the number of people he's helped out. I'm kidding about the ranking, but Sebastiaan is just one example of a user who gives a dam.. er darn.
egrazeba

4 years ago

The cmd functionality is gone in 2.1.4.
Coen

4 years ago

Still works fine over here. Are you pressing the right key?
Don't panic
JasonRTBond

4 years ago

I'm using 2.1.4 and holding cmd my selection still snaps to guides while they are on.
Cerniuk

4 years ago

The snapping is so annoying. In a selection, I very carefully am edging closer and closer to where I want to select and then BAM SNAP and it moves the ever loving selection region way past where I was targeting. I tried holding down every ever-lovin key on the keyboard and nothing stops this maddening behavior.

Don't get me wrong, I love the app and the price but this feature is infuriating. (please mommy, make the bad man stop!)

I WOULD HAVE NEVER GUESSED in a million years that "show guides" means "snap to guide" Does "show relative spacing" mean "snap to relative spacing"? Does "show fonts" mean "snap to fonts"? Perhaps "show window" means "snap to window" and "show spelling and grammar" means "snap to spelling and grammar"? (need I go on?)

When you have to use Google to figure out an application, it means you are looking for someone else's trail of confusion and their solution. Pretty good sign that the interface needs to be changed. This was pretty clear 6 months ago on the original post when the poor fella had to go to a different app.

Oh snap!
Ausra

4 years ago

Hi Cerniuk,

Thanks for the feedback! You are right and we'll see how we can implement some improvements here.
Support Manager @Pixelmator Team
monoclast

4 years ago

Is the Command key supposed to prevent snapping at edges? I'm using Pixelmator 2.2 (30425), and can't get it to cooperate unless I go to the View menu and disable Show Guides at Edges. : (
Ausra

4 years ago

Yes, the Command key supposed to turn off snapping at edges as well. What are you trying to move a shape, a selection, or an image layer?
Support Manager @Pixelmator Team
ferlevin

4 years ago

I made the following tests on Pixelmator 2.2 Blueberry (30425):

1) Resizing a shape: CMD disables all snapping for both grid and guides. It works also while pressing the SHIFT key.
2) Moving shapes: CMD works as expected
3) Selections: The CMD key is not working. The selection snaps to both grid and guides.
4) The polygonal lasso tool does NOT snap to grid, and the CMD key is used to complete the path.
5) Move layer works as expected, with CMD key disabling the snap to grid and guidelines.
fantasydreaming

4 years ago

This is still broken in the latest version when you're resizing a crop selection.
rmichael

3 years ago

I confirm disabling snapping with the Command-key when moving objects works OK in Pixelmator 3.0 FX (31016).
scvplanb2

3 years ago

Just confirmed this is working just fine in 3.2 Sandstone (40509). That Command-key to disable snapping is pretty darn handy…where was that earlier today when I needed it?!?!? Well, now I have it in the toolkit and will use it goin' forward. Cheers!
Maulerr_NL

2 years ago

Found it!
habdankm

1 year ago

Cmd feature to disable snaping works in 3.4.2 but my question is - why you need to google and a lot of luck to find this thread to be able to realize that showing guidlines is responsible for snaping? You should add alternative name in menu.
RedYetiDave

1 year ago

Agreed! Searching "snap" in the Help also doesn't... help.

Cerniuk was right and three years ago Ausra said they'd be looking at it.

So, it was looked at and decided that such a basic and expected feature should remain hidden due to other things taking priority? For three years. Really? :)
Appalachia

2 months ago

Holding Cmd doesn't disable snapping when moving something from within a marque tool (maybe because Cmd is initially used to "pick up" the selection?). A global snapping toggle would be nice to have.

Please sign in to post.