changing resolution

fine0023

5 weeks ago

I have a project I'm working on that contains a bunch of images, and that is going to eventually be printed out (onto a newly created board game). I've been reducing all the images down to a uniform size of 450x450, but the resolutions for them are different. The pictures that I took on my own camera all have a resolution of 300, but the ones I gathered from elsewhere vary and a lot of them are at 72 resolution. If I just simply change the resolution to 300 for all those images (before I export each, and then drag each into the larger image of the whole board game), will that actually affect the quality of them? Or is the quality of the original image not actually going to be improved just by manually changing the resolution?
Sebastiaan

5 weeks ago

Manually increasing the resulution, while maintainig the image size will decrease your image quality. What matters for printing is the resolution of the document you are working on. If that document has a 300 Pixels/inch resolution you will get good quality from those 300 pixels/inch images you have inserted. Your 72 Pixels/inch images will be imported much smaller than normally and the moment you enlarge them you will decrease the quality of that particular image.
fine0023

5 weeks ago

Yes. The main one I'm working on is 300 pixels/inch. Most of the smaller images I am inserting into it are also 300 pixels/inch, so it sounds like I shouldn't have much of a problem with the quality on those. I probably will have to insert a few that are 72 pixels/inch. To be clear, I wasn't going to enlarge the size of any of those images (I am actually decreasing the size of them), but was wondering if manually changing the resolution would help. But from what you wrote, it sounds like I shouldn't mess with changing the resolution at all? Hopefully they will come out decent quality.

Please sign in to post.