how to update to 3.7 if I didn't buy on the App Store?

ryubysss

2 weeks ago

I bought Pixelmator directly, years and years ago, not via the App Store.

right now I have 3.6. I do not see the option to update anywhere. prior to now, I would simply DL the trial version when updated and, since I already had a license, that would work fine. now I don't have that option, so what do I do?
Sebastiaan

2 weeks ago

As long as you have bought Pixelmator through the app store you should not have any need to download updates as a trial. Am I correct you bought a license for the 1.x version some years ago before the app store existed? In that case you don't have a license for version 2.x and upover and you most likely have run trial versions all along.

You have two options. Buy Pixelmator through the app store. Or wait for Pixelmator Pro to come out and buy a license for Pixelmator Pro if you fancy the more advanced features.
ryubysss

2 weeks ago

I have had trouble, for some reasons, with Pixelmator remembering that I had paid for it, every time I would update. so I used trial versions to get around that. (the trial versions would remember it.)

although I do not remember, I must have, as you said, paid for a 1.x version. I did begin using Pixelmator a long time ago. I must have paid for the upgrade.

it does not seem fair that I either have to pay $30 for an app that I have bought and paid for (especially with Pro coming out soon so I will have to pay for Pixelmator all over again) or else wait until Pro comes out, especially given that I do not have a release date for it yet. I have every intention of paying for Pro but I think I have a right to have 3.7 since I have already spent money on it.
ryubysss

2 weeks ago

update: I found a copy of 3.7 on MacUpdate. I DL'ed it but it has forgotten that I paid for the app. I can't revert to 3.6 because my external HD crapped out this week, so I no longer have a backup.
norbert.weiss@me.com

2 weeks ago

SOLVED.
Changed file privileges of Pixelmator.app (added rw for me as admin user). Now the update works.
Weird, a lot of Applications in High Sierra have rw only for "System".

Cannot update to Pixelmator 3.7 via Mac App Store.

I bought Pixelmator in 2013. Now I have 3.6. Pixelmator 3.7 doesn't show up in Mac App Store updates. When I browse to 3.7 in the Mac App Store manually in shows "Update" (not "Buy"), so it seems I have the 'right' to update.

However, when I use Mac App Store's "Update" button the spinning wheel runs for a while and no update is done. When the spinning wheel has stopped the App Store App shows Pixelmator 3.6 (three point SIX), and the "Update" button has changed to "open" as if no 3.7 version would exist.

I'm buying in the Austrian Mac App Store.

Any help?
HuubGulickx

2 weeks ago

I cannot update on the App Store to version 3.7. I have version 3.6
Sebastiaan

2 weeks ago

In any case make sure to use the sameicloudID for your purchases and updates. The App Store has this little issue where it sometimes says to buy the app and after clicking the buy button it finds out you already own a license for the app. This can happen in situations where you previously deleted the app or have overwritten it with a trial version as described above. You can always click the buy button. If you find out you had to pay you can immediatelyask for a refund from apple.
HuubGulickx

2 weeks ago

Hello Sebastiaan, there is no 'buy' button. Just 'update'. When I click update there's just the spinning wheel and after a while it stops
Leschy

2 weeks ago

Hey everyone I bought Pixelmator in November 2013, currently I use v 3.6. I couldn't update to version 3.7. There is always the spinning wheel in the AppStore. I deleted the Pixelmator App, downloaded it again but I always get version 3.6. Then it shows "update" and again just the spinning wheel. Please help.

Just at this moment update to 3.7 was offered via AppStore. I downloaded it and its working. For testing I deleted the App downloaded it again, again 3.6., few seconds later, update to 3.7 offered, again it works. Problem for me solved.
HuubGulickx

2 weeks ago

It is a bit weird but the Leschy solution does work. Delete the old app, "buy" it again and everything is ok
ryubysss

2 weeks ago

@Sebastiaan: I inadvertently misspelled your name. sorry about that. anyway, I resolved my problem. I went through and found an e-mail with a link support already sent me so I could DL a copy.

Please sign in to post.