Restoring old photo with mildew

NN657

1 month ago

I have on hold picture that I would like to restore (a small copy below). The big spots are done well with the repair tool but I am having trouble with the fine specks of green/brown mildew (see the zoomed in pic). Any suggestions on how I can clean this type of damage up?

Sebastiaan

1 month ago

Both repair and the clone stamp tool use information from other areas of the picture to clean up the spot you want to repair and with these kind of pictures you will eventually end up moving the 'damage' around in the pic. So here you might want to do some repairing by adding to the pic (or covering over the damage) with the brush tool. Pic a color from the picture that you want to repair with. Then use the brush to cover the spots with this color. I suggest you try a soft brush first with a low opacity and you might also want to try to use blending modes like overlay, darken, lighten or screen to. Just experiment. Sometimes repairing photo's is a painstaking job and not everything can be solved using algorithms.
photoman72

1 month ago

For the big spots on the woman's face and outfit, the Healing brush and Clone Stamp tool can help here. Just looking at the photo, there is a bluish tint to the photo as well. My suggestion and suggestion only is to solve the color cast first then repair the photo. As far as the speckles in the photo, there are several ways that one can tackle this issue. Everything from using layers to the healing tool/clone stamp tool in different blending modes such as darken only.

Again there are several ways one can tackle this issue. Just depends on which one(s) will work best in this application.

Please sign in to post.