Copy and paste visible only

jassyjas

6 months ago

Thanks in advance for help. Moving to Pixelmator from Photoshop. A key part of my workflow in PS was Shift Cmd Copy (Mac) which copies visible and then paste to new document (this is an a4 page of images to layout and print from). I can't seem to do this in Pixelmator.
As part of trying to resolve this I've tried to create a new 7cm x 7cm transparent doc with a stroke Inside outline. When I copy this to a new A4 doc the square is filled white, not transparent. Very confused.
Thanks
Sebastiaan

6 months ago

I'm very sorry but I cannot understand the part where you copy a 7cm x 7cm transparent doc to a new document. Does the new A4 doc have a transparent background as well.If you paste a layer with transparency on top of non transparent layer then you won't see transparency, though the layer with transparency still has it's transparency. If you want to have transparency through several layers then you will have to select the transparent part of one layer and use this selection on the layers below to cut out parts and create more transparency on each layer.

If I totally misunderstood please give a step by step description so we can try to recreate the issue.
photoman72

6 months ago

AFAIK, you can't copy visible and paste visible in Pixelmator. I've tried in vein yesterday to do this and no beans.

This is frustrating because in order to what I needed this function for ( a little different than what the original poster was needing it for) I had to duplicate the layers I wanted to copy merge and merge them together after the fact. Why would I want to do this instead of just merge my layers? Simple answer is non destructive workflow.

As far as why the copy and paste resulted in a white background. the only thing I could think of is the document you were pasting into doesn't support alpha channels? I'm not sure. I'm guessing on this.

Please sign in to post.