Gradient transparency.

aklah

1 year ago

I am trying to fade a picture to being transparent. How can I do this?
The picture is a union jack and I would like to fade it out to nothing so only about 2 /3rds of the flag is visible.
I have tried the gradient tool with a mask but it does not fade to transparent there is still the full flag but faded.
Any help much appreciated as I cannot find any tutorial on this.

Also is there anywhere I can import a new gradient thats fades to transparent?
Sebastiaan

1 year ago

If you use a gradient on a mask then you should use a black to white gradient. Have you tried that?
aklah

1 year ago

Yes tried black to white, no luck, tried creating my own gradient black to transparent, and white to transparent, still no luck.
Cannot even get one of the coloured gradients to work and change colour.

Is there a glitch with the program?
aklah

1 year ago

Just gone back and used black to white........and it worked !!!!
MarkCate

5 months ago

What? All my gradients now, one (1) color... BLACK!
Gradient tool shows only a solid white mask: click and drag mask changes never happen on my new Mac Pro.

http://www.pixelmatortemplates.com/pixe ... ent-masks/

When you talk with engineers at Adobe, the reason they have a transparent gradient button (they say)... "because it never works".
Same crap performance using Pixelmator... sometimes a mask works, 99.999% of time, layer transparent gradient is partial or total fail.

WISHLIST: from ground up... someone design the image editor with layer transparent gradient that ALWAYS WORKS!
Well, today's accident will be garbage next year... genius at work. YOO~HOO SOLUTION!
MarkCate

5 months ago

This GRADIENTS OPACITY method always works.
Pixelmator can easily create and save Gradients Opacity.

In the Black-to-White gradient shown, Gradients slider Black anchor is clicked, then in Colors panel, drag Opacity slider to 0%.
Save this gradient opacity to Gradients panel... drag gradients to Desktop or folder, remove from panel and drag back when required.

Gradients Opacity cannot SECURELY fade a photo or any other layer to opacity - see above, 'layer transparent gradient'.
Such transparency is a very poorly supported global development feature in all current software.

Gradients Opacity is any solid color fading to opacity.
Gradients Opacity is easiiy created and managed using Pixelmator (huge improvement over Photoshop).

Please sign in to post.