can't replace colour

rob

2 years ago

Hi, I have had a logo designed by someone using Photoshop I believe. it's black. I can't seem to change the colour in pixelmator, I'm following the tutorial to a tee and dont have problems with other images to change the colour, however, I choose the black lettering on the logo with the magnifying tool, then turn the wheel but it doesn't change colour at all...I just can't see what's stopping me at all. The logo is a .psd file, layer isn't locked etc.

Does anyone have any ideas ? thanks so much!
rob

2 years ago

Imagelayer info if it helps, thanks
rob

2 years ago

I've also tried saving the .psd as a Jpeg (so black lettering over white background) and still get the same result, I can't change the colour (at all) of the black lettering using the Replace Colour tool and wheel.
rob

2 years ago

I've also tried a new project and put a quick doodle with a brush of black paint, and I can't change the black to another colour. However I could change a doodle of another colour...so it's something to do with black... Anyone have any ideas how to adjust black? thanks!
Edita

2 years ago

Hi rob,

When you double-click the Replace Color thumbnail in the Effects Browser, and then choose the color you want to replace, do you set the Radius slider to 100%?
Pixelmator Team
rob

2 years ago

thanks for your help - I've tried everything, 20%, 50%, 100% etc. can't get a black to change colour...
Lyndadada

1 year ago

Same for me... any luck fixing this?
Steve Davies

1 year ago

I've also got this problem. I need to take a black logo with a transparent background and change it into a green logo on a transparent background. I can't see a way to do this with Pixelmator. What am I missing?
Pegasus

1 year ago

If your selecting a solid black logo adjust your saturation to 75% to get the color to change. This will get the black to change to a color.
DanPTM

1 year ago

I am having the exact same problem. I set to 75% method but it doesn't work. If we are unable to do this with Pixelmator would Autodesk Graphic do the trick?
DT
Motiejus

1 year ago

Hey guys,

Replace Color is not a really good choice in this situation, since black is actually a mix of all available colors, therefore it cannot be "replaced" with any other color using Replace Color effect. What would work better in this case, is a Fill feature (Edit > Fill). Simply make a selection of the layer (Command-click it's thumbnail in the Layers palette) and then fill it with any color you'd like.
Pixelmator Team
Oldehand

1 year ago

The ability to recolour is a great disappointment. I use Graphic and Pixelmator as 2 complementary apps. I have to resort to ReCOLOR app for most recolouring work.
What's needed is an extra recolouring function to go alongside tools. eg. Using pen, select basic, pixel and then have a recolour function that allows selection of the colour to be replaced with the choice colour. I'm used to using a recolour tool in Paintshoppro on PC. IT also has a sensitivity control - ie 1 = only that colour, 100will recolour the whole image / canvas; and settings in between allow various levels of recolour to apply. Hope this makes sense.
Chris
sgraff

8 months ago

Thank you Motiejus for that suggestion to use Edit>Fill. In my case I also needed to check 'Preserve transparency' for it to 'replace' everything in my image leaving the transparent background.

Please sign in to post.