Brush behaviour on iPad pro, Apple pencil

Altair

1 year ago

Is there an option to change the brush behaviour in pixelmator? Laying down a stroke with a brush makes a transparent stroke, even if pressing hard with the pencil, while tools like the marker are opaque as long as opacity is set to 100. It seems pressure only varies the size, and not the opacity of the stroke.

Brushes like the filbert and parallel brush remain transparent even if opacity is set to 100, and pressure only affects its size, and not opacity.

This makes it impossible to lay down large areas of flat color with all brushes except the basic hard and the pixel brush, making it utterly unusable as a serious painting app . At the very least, please have a preference toggle to have pressure affect opacity, and the stock brushes all be 100 percent opaque if the opacity slider is set that way. Otherwise, all the other Apple pencil refinements are moot, as the basic brush behaviour is too wrong to begin with.

ideally, the brush parameters would be exposed for tweaking, and the user could create custom brushes as well. Only exposing 3 parameters (size, color, and pseudo opacity) isn't near enough granularity.
matthewfrederick

1 year ago

I have the same problem and it's making the Pencil useless for me (and there for Pixelmator useless for me right now).

I'd be completely satisfied if the app simply behaved like my finger, at least for now: full opacity unless you change it in the brush settings.

Please.
Mike Goril

1 year ago

I'll second these thoughts. As of right now using the Pencil is very frustrating with even the basic brushes. In order to get the size and opacity settings I have the brush at, I have to push down fairly firmly, which means when I'm drawing as I normally would I get a brush both too small and at too low of an opacity.

A few solutions I can think of are
- using the set size/opacity settings regardless of pressure
- using pressure for ONLY either size or opacity, not both
- having opacity linked to pressure and size linked to tilt

In either case, the pressure needed to get full opacity needs to be dialed down a fair bit. As is, getting a fully opaque brush is pretty uncomfortable.
David F Kyte

10 months ago

Same issue here,
David F Kyte

10 months ago

Also, how do you adjust brush behavior? Things like size range using pressure sensitivity? Taper at beginning and end of stroke?

Recently Procreate put a " streamlineing" feature into brushes, that is the ability to dampen hand input to make brushes flow more easily. Nice feature. Can this app do that?
David F Kyte

10 months ago

Recently Procreate made a setting called "streamlineing" for brushes. My first painting using this feature with an Apple Pencil.

https://youtu.be/uGaQmOoL-PY
Oldehand

9 months ago

I agree with all above. I keep wanting to go higher than 100 to make it visible. Needs a setting to change the intensity of colour application.
Chris

Please sign in to post.