Why PDF files in "iCloud Drive" always open in Pixelmator

Charlesguan

2 years ago

every time click on PDF files in "iCloud Drive" always open Pixelmator, that's annoying,
Now the only way to open PDF files in other apps is enter the files info interface first.

I found, other apps like Goodreader or PDF Expert, they call it "Copy to ...", but Pixelmator call it "Open in Pixelmator", maybe that makes the iOS handle the PDF fileslike this.
LeeyaRay

2 years ago

I have the same problem. Even if I turn off "Use iCloud" in the Pixelmator settings, clicking on a PDF in iCloud Drive automatically opens Pixelmator. Please fix this!
Edita

1 year ago

Hi guys,

Seems like this is how iOS 9 is currently designed to work with Open in Place feature. Right now, it looks like Pixelmator is the only app that supports Open in Place feature. We think if your device would have some other apps that support this feature, you should be presented with options to open your images and PDF files in other apps.

However, we've noticed that if you tap and hold the PDF file icon, then tap Info, and then tap Share, you should be able to choose an app to open your image/PDF file.
Pagemakers

1 year ago

I have this problem too and I find it so annoying I have uninstalled Pixelmator.

Can't you add an option in your app to turn this feature off?
BeardMan

1 year ago

I have the same problem. I want to be asked, what I want to do with a file, like pdf on iCloud Drive, but the file shouldn't be imported automatically to Pixelmator.

This is really annoying! I deleted Pixelmator on my iPhone till this problem is fixed.
PixelGure

1 year ago

I had the same problem and Pixelmator kept on prompting me to export my PDF files as image files, such as JPG and PNG. There was no way to get around it and so I had to delete the app from all my devices. Now my iCloud documents just open fine when I tap on them.

Please fix Pixelmator so that it opens image files and not PDF documents so that I can go back to using Pixelmator again.

Thanks.
btorbo

1 year ago

Who the hell wants to open pdf's by default in Pixelmator anyway? I just don't get it, and it annoys me to a degree that can't be healthy. Get a grip and change it, like yesterday. I honestly love the powerful mobile image editing features of PM, but I hate this shit more.

Thanks, I guess.
Change is good, you go first.
jrhinfo

1 year ago

Strange, my iPad does just fine with PDFs and Pixelmator, iCloud Drive.app just previews the PDF like I'd expect it to. When I delete Pixelmator from my iPhone, it does the same expected behavior. If Pixelmator is installed on the the phone, it takes over all PDFs in the iCloud Drive.app.

All devices running iOS 9.1 and Pixelmator 2.1.

Thanks!
joushikijin

1 year ago

Hello, I am running iOS 9.1 and Pixelmator 2.1, having the same issue. Using the App since its release on OS X. Evidently I am not happy with having .pdf files from the iCloud Drive app opened in Pixelmator! First reported six weeks ago, I hope it will be fixed in the next update.
naderbelaid

1 year ago

"I found a workaround in this thread from MacRumors:

1. Press (i) to right of PDF. If you don't see the "i" you may need to change the view style from icons to list (I had this problem).

2. Here you can see that below the file details there is an action "Open in Pixelmator". Don't select it.

3. Select the "Share icon". Top-right in iPad.

4. Select copy to iBooks. In my case I used Goodreader instead. But I think it's the same idea.

5. After the PDF is displayed in the other app, delete it (the copy in iBooks or Goodreader).

6. Try to open it again from iCloud Drive. In my case pixelmator is not called anymore. ("Open in Pixelmator" doesn't appear anymore)."

credit goes to "juan vo" who posted the previous steps at Apple's discussion forms. It worked for me perfectly.
ccurrie172

1 year ago

I have also permanently uninstalled Pixelmatr as a result of this. You guys better remove the Open In Place feature. No other apps seem to use it, probably for this reason. You can blame it on Apple, but at the end of the day it is you who are losing customers.

I also attempted the above workaround, and it did not work for me. :(
happy123

1 year ago

Just deleted Pixelmator from all my iOs devices. Good app but not irreplaceable - such a relief this annoying behaviour has gone!
oldlofty

1 year ago

I too have just deleted pixelmator from my iPad. I will reinstall it when it no longer takes over my pdf files. Hopefully the "Open in Place" feature will be removed until Apple improves ifs functionality.
jrhinfo

1 year ago

I've reinstalled Pixelmator (now version 2.2) on iPhone 6S Plus and iPad Air 2 with newly updated iOS 9.2. Pixelmator no longer is the "Open in..." application, that honor has now gone to Workflow.app on both my devices. PDFs at root level of iCloud Drive.app are seen as documents previews, if in a folder i created or already in an application's folder, they want to open in Workflow.

Grateful to at least be able to have Pixelmator installed on my iOS devices.

Please sign in to post.