DIN Condensed not in Font List

Pananini

2 years ago

I just noticed a possible bug. I can't find "DIN Condensed" (or any DIN font; weren't there several?) in the list of fonts. It still works if I select it using the "Insert Text" option, though.
RNKLN

2 years ago

On my Mac i can find both DIN Alternate and DIN Condensed. Both also show up in Pixelmator Have you checked the Font Book app to see if they are installed?
Pananini

2 years ago

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm referring to the iPad version of Pixelmator. I know that I used to be able to select DIN Alternate and Condensed from the list, but they aren't there anymore.
RNKLN

2 years ago

Well, it was in the Pixelmator for iOS section, so i could have known. But, both DIN Alternate and DIN Condensed are also there on my iPad and available in Pixelmator. I added a text layer, started typing text and then wanted to change the font to check, but it appeared to be in DIN Condensed already.
Pananini

2 years ago

Yes, if I insert a text layer, DIN Condensed works for me too. It's just that I can't change texts in other fonts into Condensed without creating a new layer. DIN Alternate I can't access at all, because (like DIN Condensed) it's not in the list of selectable fonts, even though I'm sure it used to be there.

Thank you for your help, btw. Very much appreciated!
Pananini

1 year ago

For those interested, I think I found the answer.

The problem does not lie with Pixelmator, it has to do with the operating system. The DIN fonts (and I'm guessing several more) are not included in iOS 8 and beyond. Thus, they don't appear in the list of fonts. It seems like they can't be accessed at all unless they are already present in some form (like in the "add Text Layer" function in Pixelmator, or some of the pre-built presentations in Keynote, for example).

I can't quite work out why the fonts are displayed correctly, though. If the fonts really weren't there, the system shouldn't be able to display them, right? And if they are there, why the heck can't I access them without jumping through hoops?

Mind you, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to these things, so if somebody could enlighten me (or even provide a way to get the fonts back into the list), I'd be very grateful.

Please sign in to post.